How to edit theme colors?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How to edit theme colors?

Postby Eucalyptus on Mon May 18, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi,

Mint supplies by default "CompizConfig Setting Manager" and "Simple CompizConfig Setting Manager". But how to change the colors of a theme? Under Ubuntu I used Gnome Color Chooser for that. It's not that I need to change anything in the themes supplied by Mint. But it's convenient to be able to modify the color of a graphical element.

As I am new in LinuxMint, and so far I am impressed by the art work. There should probably be a better way to customize the theme already implemented in Mint. If there is, can you please indicate how to access it?

Thanks in advance.
Eucalyptus
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to edit theme colors?

Postby revdjenk on Tue May 19, 2009 12:29 am

Eucalyptus,

Not every theme can have its color edited.
To find out right click on the desktop, a window will open and then click on Change Desktop Background, choose the Theme tab. Your theme will be highlighted. Click on Customize, then in the new window, choose the Color tab. If the color selections are greyed out, you can not change the colors in that theme. Otherwise, customize away!

God Bless
Doug
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy
revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Postby dlkreations on Tue May 19, 2009 1:41 am

You can still download Gnome Color Chooser via Synaptic.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Eucalyptus on Tue May 19, 2009 1:57 am

Hi Doug,

Some GTK2 themes (not those supplied in LinuxMint) has some weird color combination like window title bar has black font on green, or the disabled item is light gray on white, etc. To correct this kind of issue, the method you indicated is not enough (Theme tab, Click Customize button, Select Color tab).

You have to use an utility like Gnome Color Chooser. I was hoping there is something better in LinuxMint but no.
Eucalyptus
Level 3
Level 3

Postby richyrich on Tue May 19, 2009 1:59 am

If you are using Compiz, then I think Emerald is the Theme Manager. Should be in the settings menu.
You can also download more Emerald themes on Synaptic.
regards, Richard

oops . .mybad, I'm using kde . .
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Return to Newbie Questions