Upgrading Linux Mint...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Upgrading Linux Mint...

Postby mainstone on Tue May 19, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi,

I have been having some problems with my computer, many reinstalls!!! Each time I am starting from scratch but this one seems like a really good install....

I'm wondering if things go wrong again is there any way I can reinstall from a LiveCD and only reload the / ?? i.e. Not formatting the /home? Would this mean it just fixes / and /boot?

Then after a reinstall would the linux be like before the reinstall but without any updates??

Thanks,

Finn
mainstone
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Upgrading Linux Mint...

Postby dlkreations on Tue May 19, 2009 4:33 pm

It is possible to retain everything in /home if when you initially installed, you put it on a separate partition. If you chose to let Mint take over your entire drive by letting it automatically partition your drive then no, unless you back everything up on to an external drive/flash drive/extra internal drive.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mainstone on Tue May 19, 2009 6:00 pm

Cheers Don,

I have a bad feeling you may have already answered another of my questions (hope I'm not a pain!!!)

I have 2 hard drives set up like this:

/sda
swap 1Gb
ext2 /boot 256Mb
ext3 /home 15Gb

/sdb
swap 1Gb
ext3 / 12Gb

I read Freds advice on partitioning and I've free unpartitioned space if required... For a reinstall therefor would I run LiveCD then Install and select all the partitions like i am using them now and just not format them...

Would i have to format / and /boot??

Also would the linux be like it was before the install... desktop, programs, wine... etc???

Thanks for your time!

Finn
mainstone
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Tue May 19, 2009 7:06 pm

If you don't format your /home partition, then you should be ok. Everything in /home would stay intact, i.e. all your themes, icons, wallpapers etc. if they reside in your user based folders. If any of those new themes and such reside in your /usr/share/ they will be removed. Wine should be ok, but I can't say for sure since I very rarely use it myself.

But you should format your /, although I am unsure of your /boot, if you have a dual boot system running, but if not, then reformatting that won't hurt anything.

I wouldn't worry about being a pain, because you're not in the slightest. I actually enjoy helping others if I have the knowledge to do so.

Good luck.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mainstone on Tue May 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Well,

Thanks, it is very appreciated. I'm really impressed with Mint and the whole support. Makes getting into Linux (and more importantly, getting away from the anoyance of Windows) much easier!!!

So programs and such would still be installed on the new update?? Would the data files for thunderbird be stored in the /home partition?

Thanks Don.
mainstone
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Tue May 19, 2009 10:07 pm

mainstone wrote:Well,

Thanks, it is very appreciated. I'm really impressed with Mint and the whole support. Makes getting into Linux (and more importantly, getting away from the anoyance of Windows) much easier!!!

So programs and such would still be installed on the new update?? Would the data files for thunderbird be stored in the /home partition?

Thanks Don.

Yes the data files are stored in /home by default unless otherwise changed by the user. Now more or less, it's basically user settings that are saved in your /home folder as well as Wine. Your programs are stored in /usr/ which is part of /, which has sub-folders where other programs are installed. Here is a good page that shows the hierarchy of the directory structure:
Short version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem ... y_Standard
Long version: http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/
PDF of long version: http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hi ... rarchy.pdf

Hope some of this helps.
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions