ps2 keyboard problem at login mint4win

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ps2 keyboard problem at login mint4win

Postby phil299 on Thu May 21, 2009 10:21 am

Hi
used various linux distros in the past failed miserably to migrate from windows

still drawn.... so decided to give mint a try ...was going to fully install but could not find any blank cd's so used the mint4win approach.

All appeared to go well and at the boot menu the keyboard works fine , but by the time mint has booted and I have the logon screen the keyboard has gone dead, I assume it is failing to load the keyboard ...but I find this unlikely as the ps2 keyboard must be the common device out there.

Tried a quick search of the forums here to no avail ....any ideas other than giving up.( I ain't got a usb keyboard to try)

update
just tried a different flavor of the mint4win eg the fluxbox ce version....with exactly the same results.

update 2
just tried removing the usb mouse at boot to see if that made it expect a usb keyboard...no dice
phil299
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ps2 keyboard problem at login mint4win

Postby Husse on Mon May 25, 2009 6:07 am

The only thing I can think of is a faulty ISO
Did you check the md5sum?
In Windows you need to install a third party program for that and it's the complete ISO you should check
Unless you have some really exotic hardware (we have to think not a regular PC) the PS2 connectors "just work" always
The connectors inserted all the way?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby phil299 on Tue May 26, 2009 8:55 am

mint4win automatically checks the hash.....also I have downloaded two versions now and both have exactly the same problem (mint4win is a exe not an iso as such)

Yep ps 2 just works always...that's been my experience as well.

The connector is all the way in , however as the keyboard works fine when I boot to windoze, I can't see that being an issue.

What worries me is I can't find anyone else here who has reported a similar problem, and I can't believe no one else has used mint4win with a ps2 keyboard.

Although it is one of those typical linux issues that makes people just throw in the towel....I mean fail on a ps2 keyboard!!!

However I am still open to any suggestions.
phil299
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri May 29, 2009 6:54 am

There are so many new people in the forum because of Gloria that I have considerable problems coping with the onslaught
Thus a somewhat delayed response
Tell me about your hardware - which computer and run lspci (note l is a lower case L) in a terminal and post here
I simply have to see if it helps me in any way - but it's not often PS2 has not worked ....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Husse on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:44 am

Hmm - I realize it can be hard to run a Linux command if you can't even boot into Linux - an oversight on my part
I did some new googling and found that it may be a problem in the BIOS
There is an option in most BIOS (at lest desktop - laptops have limited settings) called USB legacy support
This can create a problem - toggle it (set it off if on or on if off)
When I read this I remembered that I have experienced problems in Win XP with this when I still had my computer business running (i.e. no keyboard until that setting was changed)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby phil299 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:54 am

I must say that quite why usb legacy support would in any way effect PS2 escapes me.....
yet having some experience of these things, I won't write that suggestion off, indeed I will give it a go, but I have a low expectation of success.
phil299
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions