trouble installing itunes????

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SultansElephant

Re: trouble installing itunes????

Post by SultansElephant »

Hi Dibdabs,

You are using a different operating system than Linux. Therefore Windows applications won't install by default in a linux environment. So your next option is to either 1) use a linux native program that can communicate with your iPod 2) use WINE, CrossOver or Cedega 3) virtualization or 4) dual boot windows just for itunes.

Yep. Not a very helpful post, but use teh google luke.

btw hi
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Some older versions of the iTunes software may be compatable with Wine. The more current versions, and especially the 8.x line, are totally incompatable with Wine. They do, however, work very nicely in a virtualized XP guest through Virtualbox. If you use the closed-source PUEL edition direct from Sun. Instructions are here.

On the other hand, it is extremely likely that you do not need iTunes at all. The current versions of Banshee and Rhythmbox, as well as other music player software like Amarok and Songbird, all have excellent direct native iPod support for MOST versions of Apple's hardware. Some versions, especially the iPhone and the iPod Touch 2G, are problematic, but most actual iPod and iPod Nano models work fine.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

I'm the guy my friends and family go to for computer help and one of the most common things I do to help speed up their computers is removing iTunes and installing Songbird. iTunes is a horrid program that takes up way to much resources and installs a bunch of extra background programs.

Songbird is similar to iTunes, except it supports third party skins and addons which allows you to make it do just about anything. I think know it is in the 64-bit repos (not 100% sure about 32 bit though) so you should be able to install it through your software manager. When you do install it, on the left hand side click double click Songbird Addons and it will take you to a page that has all the installable addons for your version of Songbird, all of which can be installed with two clicks. I highly recommend browsing through the addons, otherwise you'll miss out on Songbirds true potentitial.

If you need a way to purchase music there are a couple addons that integrate into online music stores, though I prefer Amazon since they have a large collection of DRM free music.

Return to “Beginner Questions”