Mint slows down while playing videos

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mint slows down while playing videos

Postby genie on Tue May 26, 2009 7:06 pm

I am new to Mint (and am loving it... :) for the most part atleast), though not so new to linux. But I am a non-techie user of linux. I use it because it is faster and Microsoft sucks.

But, I have a strange problem. Despite a decent laptop configuration with 1.5GB RAM, the machine simply slows down when playing a video.
Though it doesn't happen for every video, or immediately at the start, it is just darn irritating. The only way to fix it remains a restart, as even killing the process doesn't help.

I had a similar problem when using Ubuntu, so I guess, it has something to do with distro.
Can someone please help to narrow down this problem.
genie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint slows down while playing videos

Postby genie on Wed May 27, 2009 11:16 am

I should have mentioned this earlier... this problem occurs despite whichever player is used.
Also, quite often no other program is running.
genie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Carl on Wed May 27, 2009 12:25 pm

Need a bit more info like how old the laptop is? what cpu speed? graphics card? type of video e.g: HD or SD maybe the codec x264, xvid... :)
[AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz + Unlocked 2nd Core|ATI Radeon™ HD3000 Graphics|4GB DDR3|Biostar A780L3L]
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Postby genie on Wed May 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Sure :)

1) Model: Laptop is three years old (Dell latitude D620)
2) Memory: 1.5GB RAM
3) Processor: Intel Centrino Duo 1.8GHz (i think)
4) Videos: All kinds (avi, dat, mpg)

Btw, I did not face the problem during a short time when I was using simplyMEPIS. But Ubuntu and now MINT are both giving trouble.

I wonder if it has something to do with the way Audio or Video is handled. However, if you need info about hardware/drivers, I will have to be guided thru the process...
genie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby genie on Sun May 31, 2009 11:11 pm

[bump]
Still awaiting reply :(
Can someone please help...
genie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RedWagon on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:28 pm

I've had trouble with every Linux distro I've used taking up way to much resources to play a video. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with Compiz, and I don't think there is a fix right now besides to disable compiz when you play video.

Slowing down during video playback is normal, however staying slow after the video is stopped is not. Look in System Monitor and see if you can find a process taking up an abnormal amount of RAM or CPU.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions