Mint not booting...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cjmabry25

Mint not booting...

Post by cjmabry25 »

Hi guys.

Anyways, I installed Linux Mint, and then installed the ATI drivers from the ATI website (Catalyst Control Center). I restarted my computer, it booted fine, and then I went to play a game. I was playing fullscreen, and all of a sudden my game minimizes to a window and I cant move the mouse or do anything, (I've heard this was something to do with the screensaver) so I had to hold the power button to turn off. Now Mint won't start. It goes through the loading screen and then goes to a black screen with some weird colors at the top. This could be the drivers or the fact that I turned it off without shutting down, or something else. Idk

I'll post specs, but couldn't find the terminal command I needed to get my PC's Specs, so here they are off of the top of my head -

AMD Athlon 3200+
Ati Radeon x1300
512mb RAM

Anyways, I've gotten into the recovery console and selected root so I could type "dpkg -reconfigure xserver-xorg" but it asks me for a root password, but when I type in my password it says incorrect.

I'm relatively new to Linux. I've tried Ubuntu and then Mint but always wound up with a problem and had to resort back to windows.

Thanks a bunch.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mint not booting...

Post by Husse »

Which version of Mint?
In Elyssa and Felicia you have to set a root password or else...
In Gloria it's the same as your own password
Its fine that you have found recovery mode
There is an option there to Fix X errors which may help you and it does not require a password
cjmabry25

Post by cjmabry25 »

Husse wrote:Which version of Mint?
In Elyssa and Felicia you have to set a root password or else...
In Gloria it's the same as your own password
Its fine that you have found recovery mode
There is an option there to Fix X errors which may help you and it does not require a password
Thanks for the help. I'm running Felicia. Thanks for telling me I had to set a root password. I ended up reinstalling Mint and have configured everything and it is fine. I'm gonna go set a root password as I have not tried a full screen app and am afraid if it freezes up again I'll have the same problem. Would you happen to know whats causing this?

Thanks so much... I'm loving Linux and surprisingly the terminal :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

You set the root password with mintAssistant (which disappears with Gloria)
To say why you have problems with full screen apps is very hard - this is no common problem
Fred

Post by Fred »

cjmabry25,

Let me throw a different perspective on this one. Have you had this problem before? It almost sounds like a heat/power problem. When you run full screen you use a lot more computing power both in the cpu and the graphics adapter. How about upgrades? Have you added RAM, another hard drive, or another graphics adapter without upgrading the power supply? How about your air filter and chip coolers? Have they been cleaned lately? Are all the fans running as they should be?

Just thinking out loud, so-to-speak. :-)

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”