Server Authorization directory

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Server Authorization directory

Postby RebusCom on Wed May 27, 2009 2:21 am

This is a first time installation of Mint 7 by a first time Linux user ready to step off the Windows bus (a very experienced DOS/Windows user), but this is not getting off to a smooth start. Basic installation went fine until the initial reboot, which I selected immediately following installation. During bootup right after the boot loader I received the following error message:

Server Authorization directory (daemon/ServAuthDir) is set to /var/lib/gdm but is not owned by user 105 and group 111. Please correct the ownership or GDM configuration and restart GDM.

I booted in recovery mode and ran the fsck file check. After that it booted normally, but the standard wired PS2 mouse does not work. Rebooted again via cntl-alt-del and it comes up with the error message, "Could not start the X-server due to some internal error." This sits underneath Ubuntu 9.04 text "localhost.localdomain login:"

Back into recovery mode and ran xfix, and fsck again. It boots up now but still no mouse, which works in Windows.

Ideas?
RebusCom
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Server Authorization directory

Postby Husse on Wed May 27, 2009 2:40 pm

Unless you have some very peculiar hardware (and then I mean very peculiar) I think it's a bad disc or that you need some extra options when you install
Did you check the md5sum? It is checked in a torrent but you never know
A bad md5sum can be the case even if you managed to boot the live CD
Use the live cd to check the md5 (right click the ISO) or install a third party program in Windows
Also burn as slow as possible
Try to boot the live CD in Compatibility mode (press any key while the live CD counts down)
You could the check the md5 and if it's ok continue to install - this might be all that's needed (=extra options)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby RebusCom on Thu May 28, 2009 2:48 am

The MD5 was checked and the disk burned with verification on. If I run "check CD integrity" from the Mint menu, it checks out fine. If booted from the CD it runs fine (though slow), but installed to HD I run into a series of errors after installation. I can try wiping it and reinstalling -- perhaps from the other optical drive this time.
RebusCom
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu May 28, 2009 6:18 am

OK
Try Compatibility mode and a few other tricks
Unfortunately some hardware gives problems
Look at this wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... d_problems
These three options taken from there are the first to try
noapic