Gloria Booted into Blank Desktop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Gloria Booted into Blank Desktop

Postby altair4 on Thu May 28, 2009 2:02 pm

I just rebooted into Gloria and was welcomed with no desktop icons. My background colour is fine as is the taskbar, menu, etc.. I cannot however run nautilus from the menu or from the terminal. Here is the output from issuing the command nautilus:

Initializing nautilus-image-converter extension
Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
Segmentation fault

And then nothing.

I opened gconf-editor and went to apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop to see if it was selected and it is.

Anyone have any idea on how I can get back my desktop.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gloria Booted into Blank Desktop

Postby altair4 on Thu May 28, 2009 2:42 pm

I found the problem. I had just posted a short howto of sorts on something I just worked on today:
I created a nautilus action for finding files within nautilus.
Menu > Preferences > Nautilus Actions Configuration > Add

Label: Find
Icon: gtk-zoom-in
Path: /usr/bin/gnome-search-tool
Parameters: --hidden --allmounts --contains= --path=%M

Now I can go to nautilus, right click on any directory, select "Find" and locate a file based on name and / or content in that directory.

Worked great all day untill I had to reboot. Then all heck broke out and my desktop icons were gone. Couldn't right click the desktop - couldn't launch nautilus. It was the only thing I did to the system today so I deleted the action and my desktop icons were restored.

So let me rephrase the question: Why does nautilus action cause my desktop icons to disappear?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Fred on Thu May 28, 2009 2:55 pm

altair4,

I am afraid I can't answer your question. I will probably get flamed from all quarters for saying this, but I have always found nautilus to be somewhat buggy. Either that or I never really learned how to use it properly. At times it seems to have a mind all its own.

I wish you well in trying to find a good, rational reason for the things nautilus sometimes does, or doesn't do. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby altair4 on Thu May 28, 2009 4:26 pm

If you can't answer my question then I'm in a heap of trouble :wink:

I've been with KDE forever and konqueror had its own share of "unexplained phenomenon" There's a relationship between nautilus and the desktop that I just don't get. For example, to change the desktop icon size you adjust a preference within nautilus. Stumbled across that one by accident. Maybe that relationship existed in KDE but I just never realized it. I'm glad I had the XFE file manager installed so I could poke around a bit.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I've been trying to find a good, rational reason for many things in my life. Hopefully I'll be more successful at this one. :)
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Newbie Questions