Is Mint right for Me

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Is Mint right for Me

Postby jdtwyo on Thu May 28, 2009 6:28 pm

I have an old Pentium M 1.7 laptop with 2 gigs of ram and a 60 gig hardrive. All that I would like to do with this computer is surf the web, listen to Pandora.com, watch an occasional DVD, and maybe play the rare music CD. This laptop primarily resides in my girls room (infants) and I use it to stream Pandora while they sleep, however it has become so slow and bloated with Windows XP I am looking for an alternative.

Any ideas???
jdtwyo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Is Mint right for Me

Postby Fred on Thu May 28, 2009 6:51 pm

jdtwyo,

You are in exactly the right place. Mint will fulfill your needs quite nicely. I would recommend the XFCE community edition. It should perform to your expectations.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Is Mint right for Me

Postby Aging Technogeek on Thu May 28, 2009 6:51 pm

I ran Mint 6 main edition on a computer with exactly the specs you list and had no problems except getting sound to work with the DVD player. Mint 7 has solved that.

The only other possible problem would be internet access if you use a usb network adapter,. Some adapters are difficult to set up in Linux due to the lack of proprietary drivers, But this situation is improving almost daily. Mint 7 supports more usb adapters than Mint 6 and if you have built in wireless in a fairly new (4-5 years old) computer, it will probably work out of he box.

Overall, I think you will find LInux Mint is a great choice for your system and requirements.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Return to Newbie Questions