Picture Problems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Picture Problems

Postby StrawberryWeasel on Thu May 28, 2009 10:32 pm

I've got a CD of pictures of all types(.jpeg tiff etc) from a professional photographer, when I copy them, or drag them to my pictures folder they are locked.
Is this the default, I assumed copy at least would create an unlocked copy. Also, after they are copied into my pictures, Picasa automatically adds them, but it adds two copies of each folder to the list, deleteing either copy results in both disapeering, but I only want one in the list.
StrawberryWeasel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Picture Problems

Postby merlwiz79 on Thu May 28, 2009 10:41 pm

Try deleting the photos you copied.
Then recopy them bay using right click copy and the right click paste.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby StrawberryWeasel on Thu May 28, 2009 10:46 pm

That was my first solution, after that is when I got 2 of every folder showing up in picasa
[hi-res jpeg] [5]
hi-res jpeg] [5]
[tiff] [2]
[tiff] [2]
and so on. Pictures are still locked when I look in the folders. I tried deleting everything, starting picasa to make sure it was all gone, then re-copying with the same result.

There are no duplicates in the folder, only in Picasa, and they are all still locked in the folder.

Feeling a bit embarrassed since I'm setting this up for a totally computer(as opposed to just linux illiterate like me) friend.
I have had none of these problems installing on a laptop for the girlfriend, she now loves mint, much better then when I switched her from Vista to XP and had endless headaches and many angry phone calls. :lol:
I'm going to switch off of vista as soon as I get home in a week, couldn't be happier with mint on her laptop, but this desktop is giving me serious grief.
StrawberryWeasel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Thu May 28, 2009 11:48 pm

Right click on the folder and select Properties.
Click Permissions and set these.

Owner: USER_NAME
Folder access: Create and delete files
File access: Read and write

Group: USER_NAME
Folder access: Access files
File access: Read-only

Others:
Folder access: Access files
File access: Read-only

Click Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby StrawberryWeasel on Fri May 29, 2009 2:34 am

Seems like it should work, but I still have the lock icon on each image when I open the folder, I tried setting all permissions to read/write including other? Why is this happening to copies, is there any way to turn it off default when loading from CD?
I can manually do each one, but that's kind of lame. I did double check and try again with the apply to enclosed files, and did a bit of googling before I asked.

That at least doesn't bother me too much, the bigger frustration right now is the doubling up of every folder/picture in Picasa, very confusing. I can manually do each picture once, and just not load from that CD again but the doubling up of every folder/pic is a problem.

Also, is there anyway to set Picasa as a default program to import pictures when a camera is plugged in? Right now the camera loads fine and I can manually copy the folder and then rename it but that's a bit more effort then I'd like for someone so new to computers. It will not allow me any choices on the menu that pops up when Mint realizes a camera is plugged in, I can't even pick from a list of programs or choose other, it just doesn't give me the list.
Granted Picasa doesn't seem to want to detect the camera at all so I suppose that could be
the bigger issues(Import>import from device>camera doesn't work, it detects the camera but no pics.
StrawberryWeasel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Fri May 29, 2009 3:39 am

Assuming that you copied the folders to a folder called "images"...
Open a terminal (with right click in the file manager)
Type:
Code: Select all
chmod -R 644 /images

That should do the trick.

The copies are write protected by default, since you're copying everything, INCLUDING their permissions from the CD, and since a CD per is write protected, you inherit this settings by default, the behavior is the same in all OS'es by the way.
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby StrawberryWeasel on Fri May 29, 2009 2:23 pm

Hmm I've never had windows or OS X copy pictures from a cd and make them locked.
There is no way to specify that when it is copied(to me implying making a new copy in my system to which I have full rights) to unlock them automatically?

Thanks for the code, that should do the trick:D
StrawberryWeasel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions