Hello, a few questions if I may.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Hello, a few questions if I may.

Postby S3NSA on Fri May 29, 2009 2:11 pm

Hello all, well I'm a recent (like 2 hours ago) windows traitor to Mint and need a bit of a hand with a few things.
I would greatly appreciate any help given.

1. Linux I noticed has very few fonts. I was wondering if there was a pack of the basic fonts (basic to Windows at least) anywhere or (if that is considered warez) if someone could tell me how I would go about adding new fonts, if possible,

2. I have installed Wine from the repository however upon downloading this file (and others such as Spotify, for testing purposes):
http://www.ollydbg.de/odbg110.zip

An error pops up informing me that:
"There is not enough room on the disc to save /tmp/7sg9dQQ2.zip.part.
Remove unnecessary files from the disc and try again, or try saving in a different location."

Which, seems fairly self explanatory; there isn't any room. However I can't seem to fathom how that could be. I allocated 20GB of space to Mint upon install (dual boot with Vista), when I visit my documents it informs me I have 14GB left. So how could I be unable to save a small file?

3. I initially gave Mint 20GB as I wanted to test it, however I am sure I will be using it a lot more now (perhaps even my primary if I can get Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to work) so I will need more disc space. I was thinking of around 100GB. How do I, if it's possible to, change the allotted space for each OS (so Vista has less and Mint has more)?

and 4th and final question: The text in Mint (Linux in general?) seems overly.. Huge in places. Like in Thunderbird or Firefox (the text of the tabs, header etc, not websites). At first I put this down to a lack of fonts (you know when you create a piece of work, then go to someone else' computer who doesn't have the fonts and it auto-allocates them) however upon thinking a little further, this seems stupid. I was wondering if there was any way to change that.

Thanks for any answers, they would be greatly appreciated.
Also a warm thank you to the developers and community here for making Mint what it is, it is a great achievement and I hope, if I get on well with it, to contribute when I get to grips with more than the very basics. I am fairly decent at Art so when/if I get settled I shall try and contribute some Mint wallpapers for the users here.

Nice to meet you.
Max
x
S3NSA
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hello, a few questions if I may.

Postby proxima_centauri on Fri May 29, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi S3NSA,

1. The microsoft font package can be found in Package manager under msttcorefonts. There are also other installable opensource fonts which I do not know the name of offhand.

2. Don't know.

3. There are different ways of doing it, but If you want to allocate more space to Linux (assuming your Windows partition is first) you will need to first resize that (Windows) partition. Then you can move your Linux partition to the left - and then resize it to the newly created space to the right. Always make a backup of important files when editing the partition. You also need to make these changes from a LiveCD as you should not edit partitions that are currently mounted (in use). An alternative way could also be to resize Windows, alocating 80GB more free space, install Linux MInt again on to that 80GB, then move all your configuration files in /home and personal files to the new Install, then you can just delete the old Mint partition and allocate the free space to the new one.

4. Try adjusting the DPI in Appearance Preferences under Fonts. I am away from a Linux box at the moment but I believe there is a button you need to click in the font tab to open the advanced preferences.

Welcome to the Linux Mint community.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Aging Technogeek on Fri May 29, 2009 6:46 pm

S3NSA,

About your third question. If you reduce the size of the Vista partition be sure you defragment Vista at least once (twice is better) to compact it as much as possible. Also the preferred way to shrink the Vista partition is with Vista's Disk Management tool. You find it in Administrative Tools => Computer Management => Storage =. Disk Management. On the right side of the window, under Actions => Disk Management => More Actions there is a menu that is accessed by clicking the arrow after More Actions. Select the Windows Partition from the partition diagram, and select More Actions => All Tasks => Shrink Volume.

This is much safer than using Gparted (Partition Editor) from the live CD. I recently killed a Vista install by shrinking it with Gparted although I had applied all the safety factors I knew. Use Windows tools to work on Windows.

About Firefox fonts. You can change the font sizes in firefox by going to Edit=> Preferences=>Content and selecting Advanced under Fonts and Colors.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby RedWagon on Sat May 30, 2009 1:46 am

Hey, another graphic designer! As for Wine different versions work best for different apps. Go to www.winehq.org and search the App Database for whatever Adobe product you have. The App Database should have everything you need to know to get Photoshop running, however Wine can be very finicky.
There are also some really great open source programs like Gimp and Inkscape. www.osalt.com is a good source for finding open source versions of programs. Just search (for example) Adobe Dreamweaver and it will give you some good web editors to try. I work at a photography studio and have come to prefer Gimp over photoshop for certain things, however there are just some things that I HAVE to have photoshop for.

Just out of curiosity what exactly do you do? Web design, photography, ect... I might be able to recommend some good apps.

Fonts can be installed pretty easily, can't remember off the top of my head though...

As for your disk space issues, let me give you a warning about NTFS. Every partition has a filesystem which determines how information is stored on the hard drive. Windows always uses NTFS which just shoves files in the first available spot and leaves them there. Because of this you can get large gaps of free space in your drive that make it impossible to shrink the partition.

Example NTFS: (d = data, - = empety)
|ddd-----dd-d-dd----d-----------------------d---d-------|

You may have lots of free space, but because of the little bits of data left way out there near the end, you won't be able to shrink it. Some programs will recognize this and stop before it erases stuff, and others will just delete it. Defragging a hard drive will help consolidate your d's, but they rarely do a very good job (in my opinion) but it's better than nothing.

Linux, on the other hand, uses EXT3 which looks like this:
|dddddddddddd--------------------------------------------|

Much better organized, faster, and completely safe to shrink. So, feel free to tweak your Linux partitions without fear, but whenever shrinking an NTFS (Windows) partition be sure to back up anything you aren't prepared to loose. I would recommend Googling around for a specialized Windows partition editor if you plan on shrinking a lot, since some of those will actually move the stray d's in allowing you to shrink more without loosing data. But, no matter what, it's still a risk.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby RedWagon on Sat May 30, 2009 1:50 am

Oh yeah, try to be more descriptive in your topic titles next time.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby atlef on Sat May 30, 2009 2:23 am

2. the program ran fine here, not sure why you couldn't get it to work.

3. Defrag your Vista partition, backup important files, boot the livecd and use Gparted to shrink/grow your partitions.

4. Open Appearance in your menu and go to the Fonts tab and change the size of your fonts there.

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions