+dv +webcam - Searching..... Help?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wicksay

+dv +webcam - Searching..... Help?

Post by wicksay »

My silly question of the day is ....

Having successfully got my Cannon DVM600 connected by Firewire and working with Kino and RAW 1394 I now want to use it as my webcam as well and make video calls with Skype and in IRC Chat etc....

So I thought first off I'd search the forums ... I want threads that have both DV and Webcam in the text. But +dv + Webcam only gives results for either or.

1. How do I search for both ...

2. Does anyone already know how I can do this. Cheese and Skype etc don't know my DV Camera is there!

Regards
Lee
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: +dv +webcam - Searching..... Help?

Post by Husse »

The search in the forum is hopeless.... but that's something we can't do much about
Use the search on the start page - set it to search in Mint
The Cannon DVM600 seems to be a hopeless case
Searching for Canon DVM600 + cheese or linux or skype gave no more than 7 hits all irrelevant....
wicksay

Post by wicksay »

Hi Husse,

Ah that rare thing honesty... I really aprpeciate that.

The camera works really well with kino. My research thus far shows up that webcams and specifically ieee firewire webcams is a very poor supported area of Linux. Looking on the positive side I could very well be the first person to develop a rated Firewire DV webcam solution. Now that would be a challenge and by all acocunts a world wide breakthrough.

Thanks for getting baack to me.

I think I might start a ressearch thread on this somewhere in the forum.

Cheers
Wicksay
Arminius von Xanten

Post by Arminius von Xanten »

I'd probably be one of the first users or even beta-testers. My Sony DCR-TRV33E is recognized by Kino but Ekiga ignores it and I do not intend to buy a specific webcam.
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

Try routing your camera through WebcamStudio.

Return to “Beginner Questions”