Problems with a Toshiba Satellite L300 notebook

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Problems with a Toshiba Satellite L300 notebook

Postby silvone on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:31 am

Hi,
I have a notebook Toshiba Satellite L300-1AM with a dual boot system winVista <->linux Mint 6 x64. Almost all is working ok, I had problems enabling the fan and FN+Fx keys to work, but solved when I installed Omnibook module. Now the biggest problem is my notebook is restarting by itself after 4-5 minutes I shutdown it. I tryed on Ubunu 8.10 and 9.04, both x64 and x386, on Linux Mint 6 and OpenSuse11.1(where I had problem with Intel video driver) and the same problem occured with or without omnibook module installed.
When I shutdown the computer, I can hear twice a beep, after that the notebook is going to shutdown. In 4 to 5 minutes is restarting by itself. If I take out the battery and put it back in a few seconds, the notebook doesn't restart.
What can I do to be able to shutdown my notebook in normal way, without having to take out the battery ?
Thank you,
Silviu
silvone
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problems with a Toshiba Satellite L300 notebook

Postby Husse on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:30 pm

I have seen something slightly similar in the forum before so it happens (this is buried in my many posts - was last autumn)
Run lspci (l is a lower case L) in a terminal and post here as well as lsusb
There may be some peculiar hardware in that laptop
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby silvone on Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi,
The problem is the Insyde H20 BIOS on this laptop and there are some new Toshiba Satellite notebooks with this problem. I found here http://swinky-linuxblog.blogspot.com/20 ... -l305.html a solution for my problem. So I put in /boot/grub/menu.lst comment:
title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
uuid a91f7379-e93b-490c-b541-0681173bccc2
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=a91f.. ro quiet splash acpi_osi="Linux"
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
quiet
So, I'm not using anymore the omnibook module I tried before, the fan is working ok, my notebook doesn't restart by itself from now, remains only to solve the problem with Fn+Fx keys for brightness control.
Thank you for your time and support !
Silviu
silvone
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kandieyman on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:18 pm

I have a similar problem, but I cannot use the acpi_osi="Linux" solution because lm-sensors does not have a temperature listed (it is always 0 C), and I do not know how to tell it to go off of the individual CPU temps, which are listed correctly. I just do not know how to get my fan to work. If I use compiz, then the GPU fan will eventually turn on, but the CPU is already well over 70 C by then. This is my sensors and acpi -t output:

Code: Select all
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +0.0°C  (crit = +106.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:      +46.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0001
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 1:      +51.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Code: Select all
Battery 0: Full, 100%
Thermal 0: ok, 0.0 degrees C
kandieyman
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions