[SOLVED] Daryna -- expired?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Daryna -- expired?

Postby Paul8032 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:03 pm

HI,

I am still using Daryna, which is a horrendous crime of course but I have been happy up to now.

However I note that the update function has failed, and am presuming that this means support for the underlying Ubuntu release has ceased. Is this correct or are there still some repositories I can use for security updates?

Thanks

Paul
UK
Last edited by Paul8032 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul8032
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Daryna -- expired?

Postby exploder on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:53 pm

Support has ended for Daryna, that does not mean you can't continue using it if you want to. You can compile updates you want. The decision to upgrade to a newer release is entirely up to you.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Paul8032 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:28 am

Thanks exploder -- I suppose my family (who more or less accept having an all-linux setup) would be better off with minimal disruptions.

Dumb question - can anyone advise me the best places to look for reasonable notifications of the more significant updates? I don't plan to upgrade every package, but are the key changes to more common GNU programs noted on somewhere like slashdot? Or perhaps a couple of RSS feeds I could subscribe to?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Paul8032
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:42 am

It sounds like you'd be better off with the LTS releases (e.g. mint 5 Elyssa, mint 9 (may 2010)) which come out every two years, and are supported for three years - giving you a full year to choose when you want to make the upgrade (i.e. when you have time :-). Given you want minimum disruption, I'd suggest sticking with what you have until mint 9 (though it does pose *potential* security issues once the repos are down), and not installing any updates if you can get away with it. The main issue would be if you suddenly decided you wanted a new app that's not installed by default, as the updated packages online would tell you you need more updated packages that you'd have to chase down (aka dependency hell - normally this is handled transparently). So basically, you don't want to install anything that isn't entirely self contained. One way to get around this would be to install elyssa LTS inside virtualbox (if you can find a version that isn't subject to all the above, or you've installed it already ;-) such that you can still install new apps and stuff if necessary.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Re: [SOLVED] Daryna -- expired?

Postby Paul8032 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks very much -- I think I see my options more clearly now

Paul
Paul8032
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions