4 beeps when i shut linux down?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jjude

Re: 4 beeps when i shut linux down?

Post by Jjude »

I actually have the same problem, was hoping it isnt a hardware problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Are all beeps of the same length? Are these short or long beeps?
Usually BIOS communicates hardware problems via beeps, but this is only during startup and not shutdown. And if you have one of these problems then your OS usually won't even boot.

Also it would be helpful to list the hardware you have. (Including the BIOS you use).
fwc

Post by fwc »

Actually, I also have a similar problem. In Mint 6 there was just a single beep when I shutdown, but now in Mint 7 I hear two rapid beeps in succession. It doesn't complain or have any error, just two quick beeps.
Jjude

Post by Jjude »

This also worked for me, but would just shutting down without logging out first do any damage?
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I think the only damage you can have is, when you have some open unsaved files, you could loose them.
Jjude

Post by Jjude »

eiver wrote:I think the only damage you can have is, when you have some open unsaved files, you could loose them.
Thanks thats good to know.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

You could blacklist the PC speaker, as detailed in this thread. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... st#p156844 Works out fine for me. Silent shutdown.
jesica

Post by jesica »

but why does it do it?

Return to “Beginner Questions”