Dial-Up for Mint 7? or even AOL Dial-Up?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Dial-Up for Mint 7? or even AOL Dial-Up?

Postby unclatino on Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:21 am

Doing this for a friend of mine, senior citizen with very limited computer knowledge.

SHORT-STORY: My friend only uses the computer for sending/receiving email, not even surfing the Internet much. Only priority is finding a Budget Dial-Up service, if I can get it to work. My friend currently uses AOL Dial-Up, and seeking to continue if possible. His limited budget only allows for a Desktop running Linux Mint 7, and he doesn't mind.

QUESTION:
1) Is there a Mint-Install package already available for Dial-Up Internet connection?

2) Only solution found regarding AOL Dial-Up for Linux (or Mint) is here: http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html
Has anyone tried that? My only doubt is how simple will it be to connect on a daily basis... Anything beyond 1 or 2 clicks to access email is too complicated and out of the question.

3) Does anyone currently using Dial-Up Internet with Mint provide a solution? Online I found the following website: http://linux-friendly-56k.com/

Thanks for your help,

Federico
unclatino
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dial-Up for Mint 7? or even AOL Dial-Up?

Postby alexxx24887 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:33 am

There is an application called "chestnut dialer", it is available in mint's repositories, but only for Felicia right now. The installation should work on Mint 7. :)
alexxx24887
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions