Dual Boot from Extermal hdd (solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Dual Boot from Extermal hdd (solved)

Postby bcracer5 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:18 pm

I wanted to see if someone could help me, I am new to Linux. Anyway - I have a laptop that I use for work and did not want to load Linux onto the hard drive (can not afford any failure)- it has XP. My goal is to to boot ubuntu and mint via my external usb hdd, keeping it separate from my xp drive. Here is what I did: I removed the hard drive from the laptop - then installed ubuntu on to the usb external drive, then I installed Mint to the external drive. Everything booted fine until I put the laptop hard drive back in. Now ubuntu boots fine but Mint does not (both do show in Grub). I get an error 2 and it states it cant find sda7. After I put the laptop drive back in... / is identified as sdb7 in gparted - makes sense that it changed I just dont know how to fix it. The other thing that I don't understand is why ubuntu still boots - it changed from sda1 to sdb2.

Are there any recommendations on how to fix?

Thanks for the help

Bryan
Last edited by bcracer5 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcracer5
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Boot from Extermal hdd

Postby emorrp1 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:41 pm

Hello, and welcome to linux mint! As it happens, you needn't have gone to all that effort, it's easy enough to install on an external hard-drive without removing the internal one first, and as you can see that method has problems. The solution is to edit (as root) the grub menu:
Code: Select all
gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

And finding the entry for linux mint, change the sda7 to sdb7, that should solve the problem.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby bcracer5 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:52 pm

WOW - such a quick response.

Since i can not get into terminal from mint do i need to boot from the live CD?

Thanks again for such quick reply
Bryan
bcracer5
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:10 pm

I just happened to be browsing the unanswered posts section at the right time! Ok, so yes, this is slightly more complicated. When you get to grub, press esc, it'll prompt you, just hit enter and it should drop you into a more text-like grub list. Scroll down to the Mint entry, press e (for edit), scroll down to the "kernel" line, press e again, change the sda7 to sdb7, press enter when done. You might also need to change the "root" line to match it (probably change "(hd0,6)" to "(hd1,6)", which is just grub's personal way of saying sda7 and sdb7). When you're ready, press b for boot, and it should boot you temporarily into Mint (If it doesn't, reboot and try just the kernel line change). Then you can change the file as I outlined before, and best of all, you now know which bits to change to make it permanent. I know I've given quite vague instructions, they're more as a guide than anything else, as your exact configuration might be slightly different, but hopefully you'll manage.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby bcracer5 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:03 pm

AWESOME

Problem solved!

i just want to say thanks...what a great community

Bryan
bcracer5
Level 1