Sound Juicer--a CD limit?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wintergreen
Level 1
Level 1

Sound Juicer--a CD limit?

Post by Wintergreen »

I'm using soundjuicer to extract tracks from my CD collection. I'm extracting files as .wavs in each case (lossless...and so they will extract rather slowly. ~ 5 x playback speed).

So far so good.

I'm running Bianca on a PC which sports 512MB main ram.

Each time a disk is copied to it's conclusion I click EJECT, and then I insert a new CD.....which I then extract.

This goes along just fine until I've worked my way through a dozen or so CD's...but then when I click "extract" the sequence suddenly no longer works--clicking on extract does nothing.

My GUESS is that I've run up against some sort of memory limit...but can anyone tell me for sure? Perhaps there is some sort of cache I can clear out so that I might be able to continue on without rebooting?

Thanks for any reply

wintergreen
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Sound Juicer--a CD limit?

Post by marcus0263 »

Wintergreen wrote:I'm using soundjuicer to extract tracks from my CD collection. I'm extracting files as .wavs in each case (lossless...and so they will extract rather slowly. ~ 5 x playback speed).

So far so good.

I'm running Bianca on a PC which sports 512MB main ram.

Each time a disk is copied to it's conclusion I click EJECT, and then I insert a new CD.....which I then extract.

This goes along just fine until I've worked my way through a dozen or so CD's...but then when I click "extract" the sequence suddenly no longer works--clicking on extract does nothing.

My GUESS is that I've run up against some sort of memory limit...but can anyone tell me for sure? Perhaps there is some sort of cache I can clear out so that I might be able to continue on without rebooting?

Thanks for any reply

wintergreen
Sounds like a memory leak would be my guess. Run sound-juicer through the terminal but with strace.

Code: Select all

strace sound-juicer
You'll more than likely need to install strace, it's in the repositories so no worries. Very handy tool to have to find out why a program is being "difficult" ;-)

BTW - Why you ripping in WAV? FLAC is so much better ;-)
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd

Return to “Beginner Questions”