cannot get a wifi connection?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

cannot get a wifi connection?

Postby geordiejohn on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:23 am

hello i have just installed mint but no matter what i try i cannot get a wifi connection to my home network?
i really want to stay with mint as it looks great but without an internet connection it will be no good to me.
i have got a dell 1501 inspiron laptop and when i click on network it says unable to mount location ?
any ideas please?
thank you.
geordiejohn
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: cannot get a wifi connection?

Postby emorrp1 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:57 am

Is your network listed when you click on the little network icon on the panel? The Network folder will only work once you're connected, then it'll show any windows shares available. You might also need to use mintWifi to configure the right driver.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Mintman on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:12 am

Hi, you shouldn't be clicking on Network. That is your network PC, probably your home PC. If it is not switched on, you won't be able to mount it. And if you haven't configured your wireless, you won't connect to anything.

You should see a wireless signal icon in your system tray. Right click it and it should show you which wireless networks are available. Just select your network and enter your WEP, or whatever. If you don't have a wireless icon running, do you have a manual switch for wireless? Try that.

I am a newbie, so don't know anymore than this sort of superficial stuff. However, if you want to know how to manually start the wifi service, search around for the command. I am sure it will be out there.

I am using an old Acer TravelMate 3200 and Mint is just great on this. I also use it as a live CD on my EEE Pc, running from a 4Gb SD card.

I think Mint is an absolutely fantastic find. It has allowed me to solve a problem I had with an O2 3G dongle that was not recognised in my EEE Pc Linux-based OS.

It has also given new life to what would be considered a tired old laptop.

Thanks community.
Mint 7 full install off 16GB SD card in EEE PC 701 4GB. Mint 7 full install on Acer TravelMate 3200.
Mintman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby edward23 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:28 pm

Hello,

We have the same problem and i search over to find out how to get wifi connection and here's what i found. Try this link maybe it could help you. http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/findingusinghotspots/ss/wificonnecttut.htm
edward23
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions