[Solved] Multimedia apps - thank you all for your help!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[Solved] Multimedia apps - thank you all for your help!

Postby mikeinjapan on Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi everybody, I've just started using Mint after using Windows and Apple software for, say, 15 years or so ... anyway, Linux Mint looked good to me (as, to be honest, did Knoppix and some others), but I can't find any applications that really match the -- in my view and experience -- flawless performance of Windows-based multimedia software like DVD Shrink, Imgburn, or Isobuster ... are there equivalents that are equally easy to use, and equally efficient? As you may have gathered, I'm not a 'religious' Linux user, but I like to have what I want to believe is a reliable -- and possibly, more reliable -- alternative to Windows ... well, any reply to this rather stupid question is highly appreciated!
Last edited by mikeinjapan on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeinjapan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Multimedia apps

Postby iironjade on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:06 pm

mikeinjapan wrote:Hi everybody, I've just started using Mint after using Windows and Apple software for, say, 15 years or so ... anyway, Linux Mint looked good to me (as, to be honest, did Knoppix and some others), but I can't find any applications that really match the -- in my view and experience -- flawless performance of Windows-based multimedia software like DVD Shrink, Imgburn, or Isobuster ... are there equivalents that are equally easy to use, and equally efficient? As you may have gathered, I'm not a 'religious' Linux user, but I like to have what I want to believe is a reliable -- and possibly, more reliable -- alternative to Windows ... well, any reply to this rather stupid question is highly appreciated!

DeVeDe and K3b are as good as any Windows apps. They don't have the whistles and bells of commercial programs like Nero etc., but so what? :)
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Postby emorrp1 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:31 pm

VLC is the catch-all player for multimedia content, but it's not known for its pretty interface. If it's editing software you're after, you may want to check out Ubuntu Studio.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby kei84 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:49 pm

For watching multimedia file I suggest VLC. Its interface is not attractive but you can download some skins to change it.

For burning CD/DVD, you can use Brasero or Gnomebaker. Both have simple interface and are easy to use.

You can also use DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter under Wine. They work fine.
kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Postby mbjbdc on Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:04 pm

also winff,k9copy,dvd95,
mbjbdc
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions