aircrack

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

aircrack

Postby Bernini on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:00 pm

hey im looking on the internet... and i haveto ask the question... does mint 6 comes with aircrack suite on it already? that seems kinda odd to have something like that installed by default
Bernini
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: aircrack

Postby emorrp1 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:26 pm

not by default, but it is available from the universe repo.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Bernini on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:32 pm

hmmm interesting... i guess its not as malacious as one might think... its a good auditing tool... just seems odd that its that readily available even
Bernini
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:35 pm

ahhh, but you're kind of missing the point. Every app should be readily available in linux, that's the power of repositories - tens of thousands of applications, in a searchable database, ready to install at any time! I agree it may seem odd from a security perspective, but it's extremely useful for "white-hat cracking" (like for instance you want to see if anything's wrong with your own network)
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Bernini on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:46 pm

yeh i have encountered some forums where people are saying they used it as an auditing tool for their systems... its like torrents or napster... the app isnt bad, but if people use it to do immoral things or worse dont blame the app... you cant blame sears if some nut kills someone with a chainsaw, now that being said more often than not people will blame sears... so im glad that it is available... no one has tried to limit the availability of something like this, which i find surprising... im not complaining about it, but i am a little shocked
Bernini
Level 1
Level 1

Postby optimize me on Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:18 pm

Quite the contrary, Germany has made it illegal to have nmap software installed on your PC. (I'm not sure how they enforce something like that, but I'm sure they do.) It probably won't be long til the rest of the EU follows suit.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Bernini on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:14 am

ahhh... those germans and europeons always ahead of us yanks on the curve... but im slightly ashamed that they would be beating us to the punch on fascism, umm... wait a sec...
Bernini
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions