Ext 4 file system

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Ext 4 file system

Postby kevinrs on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:06 pm

As a Linux novice, I would like to ask for some advice.

I know the default file system is ext 3. Is there any advantage to changing to ext 4.

Thanks in advance.
kevinrs
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Ext 4 file system

Postby emorrp1 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:46 pm

You should note that it's not yet fully developed (kind of an RC stage), so installing it on production systems isn't supported (though I've not had any problems yet). It'll be the default in Helena, and then you'll be able to benefit fully from the increase in speed, various data size limits increased, support for SSDs, and better anti-fragmentation features without any issue.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby subslug on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:52 pm

With Ext4 you'll be able to store files as big as 16 terabytes so that'll be handy. It also does it's e2fsck stuff faster than Ext3.

I'm using Ext4 on the 64bit RC Mint now and I haven't really noticed any speed difference but I've only just installed it.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kevinrs on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:38 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think I will leave it untill the next release.
kevinrs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenathos on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:13 pm

I have ext4 on my Mint 7 32-bit install and have not had any negative issues at all. I am going to run with ext4 on Mint 7 64-bit when it is released, as well.
Debian 7 with GNOME 64-bit
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions