firewalll or no firewall? (solved, ty for the replies)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

firewalll or no firewall? (solved, ty for the replies)

Postby Daemon Wolfe on Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:01 am

greetings, i am a utter newb, i love the look and feel of mint for one, but i am confussed on something, which is do i need to run firestarter? if so if i read a previous post's on this right, you run the wizard once and then you do not need to constantly run it everytime on boot...but that reminds me on something esle, do i need to run firestorm? do i need to worry about a firewall period? i am rather confussed and have tried to figure this out for the past week...
Last edited by Daemon Wolfe on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daemon Wolfe
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: firewalll or no firewall?

Postby emorrp1 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:58 am

you basically don't need a firewall if linux is your only system. And even if you did want to run one, I'd recommend something like Uncomplicated FireWall (UFW)
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Daemon Wolfe on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:02 am

i am going to check out the UCW right now, and thank you so much for the answer, after i posted here, i did alot more research, and bounced a few idea off a friend, if i got it right basically Mint does the firewall options for you, once it is installed, as a background operation....but thank you for the advice :D
Daemon Wolfe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:13 am

Daemon Wolfe,

Take a peak at the thread below. It may be somewhat enlightening. :-)

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=26130&p=153461&hilit=Fred+firewall#p153461

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Daemon Wolfe on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:41 am

*plunk* and there is the tiny light bulb going off above my head :D thank you to you as well fred, soon as i read your first post from the forum about as long as the kernel is running and about window convert's i slapped my head and realised years of windows use has me paranoid =)) thank you for the reply
Daemon Wolfe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby altair4 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:54 am

If your connected to a router you may already be behind a "hardware firewall" anyway ;

From http://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm :
A NAT Router's Inherent Security
Although NAT routers are not generally purchased for their security benefits, all NAT routers inherently function as very effective hardware firewalls (with a few caveats examined below). As a hardware firewall they prevent "unsolicited", unexpected, unwanted, and potentially annoying or dangerous traffic from the public Internet from passing through the router and entering the user's private LAN network.

The reason they do this is very simple: With multiple "internal" computers on the LAN behind the router, the router must know which internal computer should receive each incoming packet of data. Since ALL incoming packets of data have the same IP address (the single IP address of the router), the only way the router knows which computer should receive the incoming packet is if one of the internal computers on the private LAN FIRST sent data packets out to the source of the returning packets.

I don't rely on this in Windows however. In Windows I install a firewall not to protect it from bad people calling in but to prevent it from "calling home" :wink:
Last edited by altair4 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Daemon Wolfe on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:07 am

lol i can see that, i want to utterly get away from windows, and here it was i was trying to think why the rest of the system ran nice and fast. web browsing was awesome, some uploads were great speed, yet downloads where blach LOL a week of fretting and being a newb and paranoid, well...i had some firewalls working against each other and what i thought were hacking attacks was actually out bound umm "calls" to help me safely browse the net...opppsie :D
Daemon Wolfe
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions