grubs password protect/os lock?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

grubs password protect/os lock?

Postby Salvakiya on Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:00 pm

hey i was wondering if there was a way to get grubs to ask for a password whenever it starts. i tried using the startup manager but it gave me an error saying invalid arguments in the terminal. funny thing is is that the startup manager said it worked.

if i cant use grubs to do this than is there an os lock that can start before grubs so i can do the same sort of thing?

im using gloria if you can help please do.
Salvakiya
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: grubs password protect/os lock?

Postby Aging Technogeek on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:44 am

Salvakia,

I just did some checking and found that Startup Manager only installs a password to protect the Grub from being modified through the edit function available when booting (press "e" when boot menu is on screen). It does not stop anyone from selecting an OS and booting it. To prevent unauthorized access you must password protect each OS individually.

You said Startup Manager returned "Invalid argument in terminal". If you are running it from terminal, take a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=90&t=27518#p159803 . You should be able to run Startup Manager from the mintMenu.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby emorrp1 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:47 am

I've set a password in bios, I get asked for it every boot before grub, even if I'm not loading the bios config screen. I guess it depends on your bios whether you can do the same.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Salvakiya on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

what Bios do you have? I think i have phoenix bios/cmos.
Salvakiya
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:39 pm

I don't know, the one that came with my laptop! I think it may be an intel one, but I don't look at it that often.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Fred on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:51 pm

Just food for thought. Ok... let's say you have a BIOS password set, a Grub password set, and a log-in password you have to enter. That's three passwords you have to deal with every time you boot. Now, you aren't laboring under the mis-impression that any one or more of these passwords is enhancing your laptop securiety, are you?

There is no such thing as a laptop being secure from a would-be intruder that has physical access, except with good quality cryptography. If I wanted to get at your data on your laptop and had physical access to your machine I wouldn't bother with your password protection anyway. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby emorrp1 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:56 pm

Yeah, I don't use it for security reasons: For some reason my laptop won't shutdown it'll only restart, so having a bios password stops it auto-booting again. Also all my data is on my external hard-drive, so a boot password would be pointless, there's nothing of value on my laptop's harddrive.
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Salvakiya on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:07 pm

the idea of putting a password on my compy isnt for security. there is a way around every password. but the idea is to have one password to keep the not so computer savy family members off both windows XP and Linux os's.
Salvakiya
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions