multiple command shells

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

multiple command shells

Postby Bernini on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:41 am

im not really asking for any specific reason other than curiosity, but under gnome/x you can open as many terminal windows as you might want... say to have a tcpdump going so u can see what another process is outputting or whatever... i was just wondering outside of x in a command shell would it be possible to have more than 1, and if so how would you do that?

this is really just more of a curiosity... there isnt any real reason why i need to know this thanx
Bernini
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: multiple command shells

Postby emorrp1 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:00 am

Look up (gnu) screen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Screen I use it by default. Ubuntu also made a screen profile chooser for Jaunty (and hence Gloria).
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Re: multiple command shells

Postby Bernini on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:33 pm

im a little more amazed by linux everyday... mint6 or ubuntu for most peoples home computing needs would be better than windows... if youre just doing email and browsing maybe chatting... this OS has to be better than windows... just as easy to use more secure
Bernini
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions