[confirmed] Nautilus Shared Folder Status

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

[confirmed] Nautilus Shared Folder Status

Post by altair4 »

I'm not all together sure what you want in this new forum section since I don't think this is a Mint bug. I may be wrong but this is either an Ubuntu bug or possibly a gnome / nautilus / nautilus-share bug. Feel free to remove it if you don't feel this is applicable.

Overview of Problem
After creating a share using nautilus-share, the status of the share displayed by nautilus does not persist through logouts or reboots. The actual state of the share is correct but is not displayed correctly in nautilus.

Steps to Reproduce
Open nautilus > Right click select a directory > Sharing Options > Select the following options:
Share this folder
Allow other people to write in this folder
Guest access
Create Share

Then reboot or logoff and login again.

My Results
Nautilus-share creates the following entry into /var/lib/samba/usershares :
#VERSION 2
path=/home/tester1/Documents
comment=
usershare_acl=S-1-1-0:F
guest_ok=y
and creates the following "shared" icon:
Share_Icon.png
After repeated reboot or re-login the status reported by nautilus changes to this:
Share_Icon2.png
Properties_Stage2.png
The icon suggests that it is not shared. The Properties > Share tab indicates that it is not shared but the /var/lib/samba/usershares definition has not changed - It is shared, and a remote user does in fact have access.

I have found an ubuntu bug report that address the Share Icon problem but not the properies tab problem:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/280480

And there is at least one other member that has reported this problem: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 69#p160078
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
emorrp1

Re: Nautilus Shared Folder Status

Post by emorrp1 »

Well, the main reason I was after a bug reporting forum was mainly for reporting specific, verified bugs in the mintTools and being sure of getting the dev's attention, but it's also handy to have a more friendly method of reporting bugs than ubuntu's apport (which also requires a launchpad account). What I've done is confirmed the lp bug report using my lp account, but linked back here for more detail. I plan on doing similar with other bugs reported here (either finding an existing bug report to confirm, or creating a new one), provided it keeps being appropriate - e.g. newbie posts problem in Support, someone with more linux knowledge investigates and details the bug report in this forum (unlike your case, where it just needed verifying that it wasn't just your comp).
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I'm following the bug status on lp and see that they asked for more information:
Thanks for reporting this bug. Could you post the output of the
following commands when the emblem disappears, please?

$ net usershare list
$ net usershare info <share name>

Thanks in advance.
net usershare list
documents
net usershare info documents
[documents]
path=/home/tester1/Documents
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
guest_ok=y
Although had they followed your link they would have the information they seek.

BTW, I appreciate your efforts, thanks
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I looked at the status again this morning on lp and saw this response:
Chow Loong Jin wrote 5 hours ago: (permalink)
Hmm, this is very strange. Could you get the output of nautilus in a terminal when reproducing this bug?
I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what he's asking for. I made a guess and did this:

(1) "Un-shared" my Documents share
(2) Rebooted - just in case
(3) Started nautilus from a terminal and from within nautilus recreated my Documents share. ( share / write / guest = yes )
(4) Logged off and on again
(5) Launched nautilus from a terminal
(6) Looked at Properties > Share to verify that it was still broke

Note: In this particular case the icon was in an "unshared" state but the properties > share state indicated that it was still shared with guest access enabled but "write" was disabled. As I stated in my original post it takes repeated logins before the properties tab is completely cleared of ticked options. And I was able to write from a remote machine

There was no output in the terminal of any kind.
If they are asking for something else I'll be happy to oblige.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Just checking in again from looking at the lp status:
Alright, I see this one. Just to confirm:
* The emblem issue only happens when attempting to share
Documents, but not for other random folders (I can reproduce
this but I can't figure out what's going on)
* The "write" option appearing disabled but actually enabled is a
bug in nautilus-share (I have spotted the faulty code and will
push a patch for this)
* I still can't reproduce the issue where Properties > Share is
disabled upon restarting.
--
Regards,
Chow Loong Jin (GPG: 0x8F02A411)
Ubuntu Contributing Developer
The emblem issue only happens when attempting to share
Documents, but not for other random folders (I can reproduce
this but I can't figure out what's going on)
That is incorrect. It will happen to any and all folders not just Documents. I just shared Documents, Pictures, and Videos. Logout - login - share icon lost.

Good news on the "write" option.

The Properties > Share tab being cleared of options is tricky. It doesn't completely vanish at a predictable number of reboots or logins. I can appreciate his difficulty on this one.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Hey, good news, it seems a guy called Daniel has already written a patch for the write option appearing disabled, so it should be posted soon. Also I just noticed that the original bug report (dealing only with the emblem issue) was reported on Intrepid. Can you confirm the various details (e.g. arch, release, package, version etc.) in your specific case?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

> inxi -S
System: Kernel 2.6.28-11-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 7 Gloria - Main Edition

> apt version nautilus
1:2.26.2-0ubuntu2

> apt version nautilus-share
0.7.2-4ubuntu1
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

From Ubuntu lp:
The results of my tests were that the bug cannot be fixed in
nautilus-share, but resides in the nautilus extensions interface code.
Specifically, the Nautilus Info Provider interface calls the function
provided by an extension for all files/directories except the XDG
standard directories, i.e. Documents, Music, Pictures, etc. If this is
fixed in Nautilus, then the emblem issue would automatically be fixed
without any change in nautilus-share code.
If I understand this correctly ( ? ) it proves what a crummy developer I would make. It appears this only affects standard directories. It never occured to me to create my own directory, share it, and see if the emblem survives a re-login. In fact it does.

So if I understand the rest of the lp thread:

(1) The "emblem bug" has moved from a nautilus-share bug # to a new nautilus bug # ?

(2) The "write option display bug" has been fixed and will show up in mintUpdate at some future date?

(3) Nobody can reproduce - including myself - the "Properties > Share > all options are blank bug" ?
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

1) no, the bug is still the same, it's just been changed to reflect the fact that it affects nautilus too
2) yes, it's been fixed in the latest code, but whether the fix is backported to jaunty's package I don't know. As it's not a critical bug, you may just have to wait for Helena. EDIT: it's in debian's nautilus-share 0.7.2-8
3) not as far as I can tell (nor do I have a windows share I can test it with).
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

This has now moved to an upstream gnome bug: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=586733
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I can understand that moving to an "upstream gnome bug" doesn't mean that this is going to be fixed next Tuesday, but I just have to say that you must have a lot of influence over at Ubuntu. You seemed to have "pulled this out of the fire" at least once ( maybe twice ) - very impressive.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Well thanks, but I really don't, usually persistence in providing information to the right people is enough to get a bug fixed. With ubuntu they have a team to go through the bug reports, which means that there's an easy go to point, with mintTools we have the mintTool bug forum, and this one to link to launchpad.
miros84

Re: [confirmed] Nautilus Shared Folder Status

Post by miros84 »

I have the same bug. After every rebooting I have the check the box again then I can write.
What is ubuntu or mint bug.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

miros84 wrote:I have the same bug. After every rebooting I have the check the box again then I can write.
What is ubuntu or mint bug.
I doubt it, the bug detailed here is purely cosmetic, not functional. If you have a problem writing to your share, please post in the support section of the forums.
Elyssanub

Post by Elyssanub »

hi.
I have a problem related to this. I hope it ok to post here.

I shared my home folder on my laptop by right click>share>guest access. And the used my desktop to access the files I needed.
Then I rebooted my laptop, and now I have the same problem as mentioned here. The folder on my laptop dont appear to be shared, but it is in fact so. My desktop can still access it, and so can everyone else on the network I guess :\ How do I UN-share my home folder now?

Help is much appreciated:)

Return to “Beginner Questions”