defrag - ext4

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

defrag - ext4

Postby ibm450 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:16 am

so sorry if this is a dumb question, i read somewhere that you can actually defrag ext4 or linux like you can with windows? is this true? if so, what is the link to download the tool to defrag your system(lm7 32bit)

regards

:oops:
Asus UL50VT laptop ~ LM10 - Unity 12.04 - Win 7
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: defrag - ext4

Postby Fred on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:34 am

ibm45,

Forget defrag in Linux, especially with ext4. It is almost a moot issue due to the way Linux file systems are designed and managed. In most cases they pretty much defrag themselves. Your assistance is not required in that process. :-)

I have Linux ext3 file systems that have been used for a couple years on a daily basis that show less than 10% fragmentation, with no intervention from me.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby emorrp1 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:51 am

I too would agree with Fred - you *really* don't need to defrag in linux, and the "extents" make it even less necessary in ext4 than ext3, but if you must: As not all features in ext4 are fully supported by the current kernel (hence it not default, only available in manual partitioning stage), it's a non-trivial process, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/321528 for why it won't work straight off, and http://polishlinux.org/apps/cli/ext4-de ... -e4defrag/ if you're really determined.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby ibm450 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:16 pm

thanks guys for the input. its refreshing to know that linux dosnt require defrag at all, hence saving wear and tear on your hhd.

much appreciate the response.
Asus UL50VT laptop ~ LM10 - Unity 12.04 - Win 7
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions