What sound system does Mint use?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robert3353

What sound system does Mint use?

Post by robert3353 »

Hello,
I am considering trying out Mint Linux, however before I take the time to download the ISO and then do an install I would like to know how closely Mint is to Ubuntu. Does Mint use the Pulse audio system? If it does I will not waste the band width downloading Mint because I have had nothing but problems with Pulse Audio with Ubuntu and do not want to repeat the experience. Also does Mint set up a traditional root user account or do they do things exactly like Ubuntu?
Thanks for your help,
Robert B
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: What sound system does Mint use?

Post by emorrp1 »

Mint does indeed use PulseAudio, but so do almost all the major distros. Yes Ubuntu's first implementation was shoddy to say the least, but it's fine now, and Mint does include the management tools by default, unlike ubuntu. You should try it out at the very least.
robert3353

Re: What sound system does Mint use?

Post by robert3353 »

emorrp1 wrote:Mint does indeed use PulseAudio, but so do almost all the major distros. Yes Ubuntu's first implementation was shoddy to say the least, but it's fine now, and Mint does include the management tools by default, unlike ubuntu. You should try it out at the very least.
I beg to differ with you, as I have tried the latest version of Ubuntu and to my knowledge is one of the few who are using Pulse audio by default. I had constant issues with Pulse audio on Ubuntu, it may be the wave of the future but it certainly is not for the present. Until all of the various applications that use audio including all the various web plug-ins begin to use Pulse audio by default one will continue to experience intermittent problems with their audio experience on Linux. Thanks but no thanks, I am sure that Mint is a fine distro but because of their marriage to Ubuntu is not the distro for me.

I do appreciate you responding to my questions and I wish you the best.
Robert B.

Return to “Beginner Questions”