Linux Mint Felicia is slow on HDD access

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint Felicia is slow on HDD access

Postby qdr on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:25 am

Hi, first of all, my rig:
Notebook Acer Aspire 3045 NLC
Mobile Sempron 3300+
512 MB of Ram
Hitachi TravelStar 60 GB
Ati Mobility Radeon X1300.
Now, zee problem: Well, I'm having a problem, much like in this old post :http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=16940&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Slow%2C+lags, except that I don't get kernel panic. Whenever I open files from hdd, or mintUpdate updates, or Synaptic is run, or anything access my HDD (3 partitions - 2 NTFS and one 10 GB linux auto parted) the system gets really slow, I can barely move my mouse. I can't watch videos on Mint because of that. I ran hdparm and the overall speed was 28 MB\sec. I'm really looking forward for a reply.
qdr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint Felicia is slow on HDD access

Postby exploder on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:34 pm

I would try adding some RAM or turning off services that are not needed like bluetooth for example. to free up some memory.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby RedWagon on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Linux Mint should work fine on that much RAM, I doubt that's the problem.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby RedWagon on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Are you playing videos off the NTFS parition or the linux one? NTFS works, but has pretty terrible performance issues. If you are playing from NTFS, try copying one over to your linux partitino and running it from there to see if that's the issue.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby dnzota on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:06 pm

I have the same problem on a fast system (c2d ~3000MHz, 4GB ram, 320 GB SATA drive). The partition system is linux dedicated.. i have 2 ext4 partitions. Under Windows I have 100-140 MB/s tranfers rate, from one location to another (on the same partition, ntfs) but on Linux... well... it's only 20-25 MB/s. It's ridiculous!!!!
dnzota
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions