Screen Brightness Problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Screen Brightness Problem

Postby schiribizzolo on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:25 am

HI all,

I am not too much of a newbie to linux as I have tried quite a few versions of Linux. I installed Gloria a week ago. I liked the OS very much. Much more simple and easy to use than other versions I have experimented. But this time I have an unusual problem which I had not faced before. For some reason, the brightness on my laptop is in minimum. It will not let me set the brightness higher. I have tried and shortcut keys and through the display panel. It just does not work.
I dual boot with WinXP and Gloria. But one thing that I have noticed with all linux distributions while dual-booting is that your display brightness will reduce in linux if you previously booted in WinXP. I have no clue why, but this has happened to me with all linux distributions. But this time it was fine for a couple of days (with the brightness lower when previously booted with XP, but I was able to make it full brightness through shortcut keys) and then all of a sudden the brightness is always LOW (minimum setting). I cannot get it to go higher.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sridhar
schiribizzolo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Screen Brightness Problem

Postby Benni Jay on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:54 am

The screen brightness is kernel controlled.
I don't think you can't do anything about it, just wait for a kernel update.
Benni Jay
Level 1
Level 1

Postby schiribizzolo on Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:09 am

Thanks for the reply Benni.

Is everyone having the same problem with latest kernel???

Thanks
schiribizzolo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kei84 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:47 am

I can set the brightness of my Sharp notebook using Brightness Applet. I am using Gloria.
kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Postby nebcanuck on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:16 am

Running an intel graphics chip may have something to do it. I know with my own chip, mint boots in low brightness, but upon login it seems to reverse the brightness setting so that it's back up to full.

For me, I can adjust the brightness by going into the power management preferences and fiddling with the brightness slider. But the brightness hotkeys certainly don't function.

The only distribution I've seen which works properly in this regard is Fedora 11. So I'm assuming it's one of those issues which is dealt with by upstream progression, and Fedora is (as usual) one step ahead of everyone in adopting the measures. Hopefully that means we'll see a fix either through the repos, or in the next version of Mint.
...loving life for Christ's glory...
nebcanuck
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions