Sound test ok But No sound

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Sound test ok But No sound

Postby knn123 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:22 am

Hello, using Mint 7..
Sound test ok in the sound check, but only works in Rhythmbox and Songbird. When I try to use it in any other app player I get no sound. Video works fine but no sound. Firefox video works but no sound? Thank for any suggestions..
knn123
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sound test ok But No sound

Postby RedWagon on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Do you have multiple sound cards?
Go to Menu -> Sound & Video -> Pulse Audio Volume Control -> Playback then make sure whatever isn't playing sound is trying to play sound, find it under the playback list, click the triangle in the upper right, goto move stream and select the correct device.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby knn123 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Thank you.. turned out Pulse was my problem..I went into Package manager and deleted everything that had Pulse on it. Rebooted and Everything is working fine..Using a Lexicon Alpha usb device. Funy Mint picked up this device where all Win OS's wouldn't, even with the Lexicon drivers installed on a 64bit Win PC.. Love Mint 7..
knn123
Level 1
Level 1

Postby freedomjackson on Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:03 pm

I also, can only get sound in rythmbox. only oss sound would work for me. I removed pulse and restarted. now ALSA works under the tests and in rythmbox, but i still don't get sound anywhere else. I'm using creative usb headset. there is also an onboard realtek and hdmi sound through the ati 4850. They all show up as options for sound but sound only comes out of my usb headset, and only in the tests, and rythmbox. Thats fine though since its all that i use, but I can't get sound in vlc or anything else.
freedomjackson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby knn123 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:37 pm

Search in software manager for Banshee Media Player, It is really nice as it works both in video and audio.. the Lexicon Alpha USB, never sounded so good ever in Windose.. So glad I made the switch to Mint.. Post how it works out for you.. Km
knn123
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RedWagon on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:38 pm

The USB headset is a separate sound device with its own internal sound card. A sound stream can only play on one device at a time, the issues you are having are probably related to the wrong device being selected. Removing pulseaudio was probably a bad idea because now it will be harder to select the proper devices.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions