Newb needs help!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Newb needs help!

Postby mp.mercer on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Hello all new here AWESOME STUFF MAN. any how

here is the issue:
I stayed up till 4am trying to figure this out and make this work. Of course no success or i wouldnt be here right. I got gloria to install and work properly but when i reboot to run for the first time i get starting grub loader and thats it nothing more nothing less just chills there.

so i though might be with (hd0,0) stuff but for the life of me cant figure any of that stuff out.

heres how its set up:
have my internal 360gb hd and an external 500gb hd. Installed gloria to external no errors what so ever just cant get it to boot without cd oh and im trying to do this saving my win vist ult. (alright nothing compared to this)

an answer simple as a snail will help THANKS GUYS/GALS
mp.mercer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newb needs help!

Postby mp.mercer on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:27 pm

oh right now im installing mint again "prays works this time" and installing the boot loader to hd1 instead of 0 which would be my internal not to worried about my internal drive just want to get this to work beautiful cause it is "BEAUTIFUL"
mp.mercer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RedWagon on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:22 pm

Depending on your BIOS, booting to a USB drive could be hard/impossible. Also performance will really suffer so installing on an internal is a much better way to go and easier to fix if something goes wrong.

simple as a snail

confused?...
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mp.mercer on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:33 pm

well for one snails are simple shell and slime ball but any how

see heres the issue i have to have ultimate for "work" cause they dont want anything else for "security reasons" which is bull cause come on its microsoft.....

any how my usb device will boot but i have to have the cd to load grub. otherwise it will sit on the screen saying loading grub please wait and blam wall sits forever.

my internal is vista
my external is going to be mint just cant get it to boot on its own i really dont want to have to carry a cd around with me
mp.mercer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Quite plainly, he wants an answer that is complicated and twisted, even spiraling, that goes nowhere fast, and needs lots of butter and garlic.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby AK Dave on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:39 pm

mp.mercer wrote:well for one snails are simple shell and slime ball but any how

I was thinking "easily digestable in small packages".

see heres the issue i have to have ultimate for "work" cause they dont want anything else for "security reasons" which is bull cause come on its microsoft.

Work insists you use Vista Ultimate. Fine. Install it internally. Install Mint internally on a seperate partition. Use the external drive for data storage. Problems solved. Lots of good walkthroughs online for "dual boot vista linux", more than I can shake a snail-laden-stick at.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions