Removing Graphic Interface of Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Removing Graphic Interface of Linux Mint

Postby Giacomo on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:00 pm

Good evening,

can You please tell me a correct procedure to uninstall the graphic interface of Linux Mint Felicia?
I'm a real newbie and so I would like to know the whole sequence of steps.

Thank You

Best Regards and good night

Giacomo Odoardi
Giacomo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Removing Graphic Interface of Linux Mint

Postby RedWagon on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:12 pm

o.O
A few questions:
Why do you want to remove the graphical interface? What are you trying to accomplish?

You can still get all the the functions of the command through terminal in the GUI, but if you remove X11, you can't get any of the GUI functions back wihtout re-installing everything. If you really want a command line only OS for a server you should probably pick a different distro, though if you're a noob, you will be completely lost.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Giacomo on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:28 pm

I have to prepare an exam consisting in making minimal a "normal" linux distribution keeping routing and parental control functions.
So what are the packages I must uninstall through Synaptic to remove the graphic interface of linux mint?

Thank You

Best Regards

Giacomo Odoardi
Giacomo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RedWagon on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:31 pm

As I said in my other posts, for what you are trying to do, you will probably be much better off with a different server based distro.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Giacomo on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Yes but I have chosen Mint and I cannot change.
So please help me.

Thank You

Best Regards

Giacomo Odoardi
Giacomo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Giacomo wrote:I have to prepare an exam consisting in making minimal a "normal" linux distribution keeping routing and parental control functions.

You want a simple command-line linux distro. The linux kernel includes iptables, which can be configured to give you all the parental web-nanny blocking you might desire. Problem solved, in a nutshell.

So you're going to remove xserver, everything associated with xserver or xorg, everything that depends on xserver, everything that runs on X including all of Gnome, and everything that depends on something that runs on xserver. Plus every program that starts with a g or a k.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions