Removing Graphic Interface of Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RedWagon

Re: Removing Graphic Interface of Linux Mint

Post by RedWagon »

o.O
A few questions:
Why do you want to remove the graphical interface? What are you trying to accomplish?

You can still get all the the functions of the command through terminal in the GUI, but if you remove X11, you can't get any of the GUI functions back wihtout re-installing everything. If you really want a command line only OS for a server you should probably pick a different distro, though if you're a noob, you will be completely lost.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

As I said in my other posts, for what you are trying to do, you will probably be much better off with a different server based distro.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Giacomo wrote:I have to prepare an exam consisting in making minimal a "normal" linux distribution keeping routing and parental control functions.
You want a simple command-line linux distro. The linux kernel includes iptables, which can be configured to give you all the parental web-nanny blocking you might desire. Problem solved, in a nutshell.

So you're going to remove xserver, everything associated with xserver or xorg, everything that depends on xserver, everything that runs on X including all of Gnome, and everything that depends on something that runs on xserver. Plus every program that starts with a g or a k.

Return to “Beginner Questions”