Hacking?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Hacking?

Postby carling on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:34 am

Over this passed 24 hours very strange things have been happening while on the internet, I have had a pop up saying, "Remote access fail Error.
My modem send, receive and status light went out, and I had to reset my modem, Several times I got the same pop up saying "Remote access fail Error."
with no problems again with the modems Lights going out,

also over the same period my system has frozen up in firefox web browser, not being able to connect to websites, plus other weird things going on, I have checked with my ISP and they state there is no problems with the service I would like to know if this could be a Hacker trying to access my system?

any thought on this would be appreciated
carling
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hacking?

Postby viedeye on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:35 am

Yes, despite some's exclamations there's nothing to worry about, hackers often try to access a remote system.

Your ISP doesn't handle things like that, and you got a hold of someone that said there's nothing to worry about.

Remote exploitations, as they're called, are when your system is compromised and someone else can issue commands. If you want, there's two programs I use:
etherape
wireshark

and they'll give you a little info on what might be taking place.
Search the Inet for "Remote Exploitation" and you can find out a little more...it's typically a 'back-door' program that allows a virtual terminal command interface for the hacker.

Typically, for reference, at this point I wipe out my hard drive and re-install the OS. You could go all out with a "Hi-Jack This" type response call, but I usually don't.
viedeye
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Hacking?

Postby Aging Technogeek on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:51 am

One access route for remote exploitation is through Javascript messages that run in the background on some websites. You never see them but they can gain access to Firefox and possibly to your computer. If you have been infected the easiest cure is to wipe your hard drive and reinstall.

A good preventative measure is to install the Firefox "Noscript" add-on. This blocks background Javascript on any website from accessing your system.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Return to Newbie Questions