Dual Boot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Dual Boot

Postby antiquexray on Sat May 26, 2007 1:36 pm

I'm using a generic laptop with a 1200 MHz processor; it was given to me my a friend. I've run nothing by linux on it until just recently when I used it to practice and perfect my skills in turning it into a dual boot. A waded through the tutorial that Shane Joe Lazar wrote without incident.

When I first dumped XP onto it, in preparation for the dual boot, I only tested XP by downloading and viewing video from our camera (the video was herky-jerky), but I though it was just the video and really didn't surf with it. Then I put Mint on as a dual boot. Mint works great, but now testing the XP by surfing it is herky-jerky as well. I would think a 1200 MHz processor should be able to handle that load.

Does anything to do with the dual boot? Does anyone have an idea as to what tweaks I can do to make XP smoother?
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby 900i on Sat May 26, 2007 2:06 pm

Loads of ram, maybe.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby newW2 on Sat May 26, 2007 2:43 pm

I've had XP on a dual boot box for some time now, because there are some things (work related) that I just don't want to mix with the pleasure of Mint. What I notice is that XP is just: "slow and jerky" compared to any Linux distro I use. I noticed this more as my use of XP became less frequent. I ran Ccleaner to see if there was just the normal M$ clutter that affects performance and also cleaned the registry (no perceptible increase in performance after all that). I think it is just that I was used to slow and jerky. :lol:
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby clem on Sat May 26, 2007 5:06 pm

Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way there are two methods for that:

- don't use it.
or
- reinstall it frequently.

;)

Alternatively you can spend a lot of time playing with things that are not fun at all (antispyware, antivirus, registry cleaners, defragmenter...etc) but considering the time it takes to tidy Windows you may as well reinstall it or not use it.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby antiquexray on Sat May 26, 2007 5:28 pm

clem wrote:Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way there are two methods for that:

- don't use it.
or

;)

Alternatively you can spend a lot of time playing with things that are not fun at all (antispyware, antivirus, registry cleaners, defragmenter...etc) but considering the time it takes to tidy Windows you may as well reinstall it or not use it.

Clem

It's a new install, but thanks. I just think XP doesn't like this box. As I've said, Mint will do most of what I need, I just will have a dual boot for those few things.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Postby faraaz on Wed May 30, 2007 10:32 am

Yeah, I have had similar experiences with Linux myself.

I have a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM...so I thought Windows ran really fast on my computer...but then I loaded up Linux...and OMG! :) It was like the difference between watching **** and actually having sex...
faraaz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby marcus0263 on Thu May 31, 2007 7:03 pm

clem wrote:Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way there are two methods for that:

- don't use it.
or

;)

Clem

You hit the nail on the head Clem ;-)

I threw off the yoke of M$ 3 years go and have never been happier. I only use XP @ work when I have to and through a VMware image at home. I only fire up the image rarely when I need to do some testing or for some "must have" apps that will only run on M$, but this is a rare occurrence.

Oh what a beautiful thing it is! Especially with Vista being released ................
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions