NTFS support in 2.6.30 kernel?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

NTFS support in 2.6.30 kernel?

Postby trister on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:40 pm

Upgraded to 2.6.30 kernel from linuxmint7 2.6.28 kernel and no more ntfs support. No file browsers read my ntfs partition, only get error message. Can someone explain what the problem is and what to do?
trister
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: NTFS support in 2.6.30 kernel?

Postby emorrp1 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:58 pm

Hello, and welcome to Linux Mint! Well, the problem is you installed a new kernel, not provided by mint or ubuntu for use in jaunty/gloria. Where exactly did you install it from? Although the main .30 release is stable, it's still only in karmic alpha at the moment, so it's obviously not had all the ubuntu-specific modifications. In your case this is ntfs-3g module. If you're determined enough, you can install the module manually, but I wouldn't bother posting your problems here, as you're effectively running development software. I also just noticed that this is in the newbies section, kernels are never going to newbie-friendly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to scare you away, it's just that anyone who installs a custom kernel is basically expected to have the know-how (or google-skills) to sort themselves out.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby trister on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Found a quick solution. Started Synaptic package program, searced in the search field for ntfs-3g and reinstalled all ntfs (3g) components found there. Now every filebrowser is able to find and browse my ntfs partition.
Nice.

Regarding kernel, I read 2.6.30 kernel fixed several security issues so I thought the upgrade was a smart move...but maybe not? And i downloaded the ubuntu kernel packages.
trister
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RedWagon on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Linux security issues when compared to Windows security issues are so different they shouldn't even use the same words. Most Linux security issues are "things that could possibly maybe compromise security if someone does this" whereas Windows security issues are "design flaws that give malware and hackers unrestricted access to your PC." Okay, maybe that was a little bias but my point still stands. Unless you're running a major web serve and as long as you keep your system up to date through MintUpdate (or whatever your distro uses), Linux "security issues" are a non-issue for everyday users.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions