Not saving several configurations

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Not saving several configurations

Postby Mnemonic on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:46 pm

Sup!

So, this is my first post here. Been using Mint since Felicia and, so far, it's been a pleasant experience.

Ran into a weird thing (won't say bug because, honestly, I don't know if it is one) a couple of days ago and I haven't been able to fix it. Problem is, I noticed some desktop configurations aren't being saved. For instance, I have desktop effects enable however, every time I restart, they are disabled. Same thing with the workspace switcher. I configured the app as to have only one and removed the switcher from the panel but, every time I restart, it appears on the panel and again, with 2 workspaces.

I haven't noticed if it happens with other programs because, I haven't had any more problems than these, but I'm afraid I might. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheeers :D

Edit: Don't know if it's right place to ask this. If not, please make the necessary corrections.
Mnemonic
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Not saving several configurations

Postby Fred on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:41 pm

Mnemonic,

Is this a new install? Has it been doing this since the beginning? If it is a new problem, can you think of anything in particular you may have done in the time frame it began?

This kind of problem, random stuff, is a common symptom of a bad installation disk. I am not saying that is the case here, just something to keep in mind.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Not saving several configurations

Postby Mnemonic on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Thanks for the reply Fred.

Yes, it is a new installation and no, it's only like this for a few days. The problems is, I haven't done any significant change to the system, only installed the updates. One thing I didn't mention is, every time I change the desktop effects, it searches for a suitable driver. That never happened, even when everything else worked fine and I enabled/disabled the effects. I've also confirmed my nvidia configurations, ran the settings with root... I can't think of anything else to do and I'm too lazy to do a fresh install at this moment lol

Anyway thanks for the tips :wink:

Cheers
Mnemonic
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions