Dual boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richyrich

Re: Dual boot

Post by richyrich »

Starfleet,
card 0 = Ensoniq
card 1 = Intel HDA

pnp = Speakers are detected!

Sooo, look on the back of your box, there is probably 2 places for plugging in your speakers, one will be by the network plug (onboard), the other will be in a card slot. Which one is your speakers plugged into?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I'm confused, isn't there two sets of plugins on the back?

Green (pink,blue)plugs are standard on ALL audio, well not ALL, but most. :lol:
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Starfleet,
Great news . . :D . . Now if you remember how to get into your Setup (BIOS) at the beginning of the boot process, you can go into the advanced settings again, and look for "onboard Intel HD audio" or some such, once you find it, you can highlight it with the arrows, then hit 'Enter' to be able to choose to "disable" it. Save and reboot.
The result, you should have BOTH operating systems using the Ensoniq add-on card. If it doesn't work for some reason, you can always change it back, no harm! :D

You don't have to do this, but I think, if I were you, I wouldn't want to change my audio plug every time I switched. :wink:

Well, I'm glad that you stuck with it, and now can start enjoying your new Minty OS !

regards, Richard
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

Here is a brief description of how I have always set up a dual boot.
First prepare partitions. With a partition tool such as GPartEd running on a live disk , reduce the size of Windows C: drive to create empty space for your Linux partitions. The amount you reduce it depends on your Windows minimum requirements. After reducing C; drive re-run Windows to let it check the file system.
Next with a partition tool such as GParEtd , create three logical partitions -- one about 6 GB or more formatted ext3 , for your Linux install. Another logical partition about 1 GB formatted swap. Then the balance of the empty space formatted ext3 for data to mount on the /home partition.
Now start the install disk and choose ' manual ' . Edit the data partition as mounted on /home . and edit the Linux install target partition as formatted and mounted on / .
Then the installation should proceed normally.
smassey

Post by smassey »

This happened to me also. I'm pretty sure that it is because I hadn't allocated any space from the xp partition. You need to click on the xp partition and then drag from the right hand side to the left.

Return to “Beginner Questions”