Dual boot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Re: Dual boot

Postby richyrich on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:39 pm

Hey starfleet, just got home myself.

Okay, what I am looking for is the amount of HD space that is allocated for Mint, thus the ' df -k '
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby starfleet70 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi Rich, when it showed the partitions it showed 70 gb for XP 1.3 gb for the swap file and the rest of the 80gb for Mint.
starfleet70
Level 1
Level 1

Postby starfleet70 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:12 pm

Ill be right back.. I'm on the other computer
starfleet70
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Hey,
I think we found it. Not enough room in '/Home' to write the users desktop.
ps: Your swap size is okay.
The possible/probable reason is that Windows gets very fragmented, and will not release enough space to use for Mint.

Now you can try the 'free' option in the recovery console, but I think that will fail. As it will only try to release space in Mint.
Second, go into Windows, clean & defragment the hard drive, delete old files etc. Free up as much space as you can. Then it is time for a re-install of Mint! . . . :(
Sorry, but this may be the only way of getting Mint up and running.

You may want to wait around a while before biting the bullet, to see if someone else has an alternative.

Sorry for being the harbinger of bad news! :cry:

Richard
ps: In the Tutorial/How To section of this forum, you will find a great article from Fred, it is a long read, but WELL worth it. Link below:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby starfleet70 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Hey Rich, I don't have a problem doing a reinstall it only took about 15 minutes. My only question is what about the one that i already installed (that's not working) What if anything will happen to it?
starfleet70
Level 1
Level 1

Postby starfleet70 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:29 pm

I did a disc cleanup and defraged a couple of days ago
starfleet70
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:34 pm

You should overwrite the old install. The link I gave you talks about using the manual partition editor during the install, but it should automatically allow you to replace/overwrite the Mint/Linux partition.
Don't forget to do as much cleanup as possible in Windows, even defragging more than once. Old downloads, temp files, Internet temp files, etc.

Best of luck, Richard

ps: I'll be monitoring the forum, so if you have some questions during install, just post back here.
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby richyrich on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:35 pm

You want at least 12 - 15 Gb for Mint.
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby starfleet70 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:48 pm

Thanks Rich..I'll try again. :wink:
starfleet70
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ZekeMenuar on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:37 pm

I'm new to Linux, not to Windoze.

I setup a 15gb partition dedicated to Linux Mint 64 RC. Left it unformatted.
The rest of my HD has a 30gb partition for Windows 7 RC and the other 250gb is for data. The setup disk gave me the option of installing to the largest free space. That's what I chose and Gloria finished the install with no drama. The dual-boot works just like it's supposed to.
If the OP has the space on his HD, that's the route I'd suggest.

FWIW, after trying 10? various Linux distros, this one is the best so far. I like it a lot. I run it in Virtual Box with Windows 7 as the host and as I wrote earlier, I put Gloria in my spare partition where Vista used to be.
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
Thomas Jefferson
ZekeMenuar
Level 2
Level 2

Postby starfleet70 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:57 pm

I tried again but I can't seem to shrink my windows partition. When I got to the partition part I deleted the mint partition but still can't shrink the windows one. Any suggestions? Do I need to download a partitioner?
starfleet70
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Okay, when you get to the part where it gives you the choice of 'Sharing HD with Windows', Use Whole HD, etc. (the Partition Editor), choose 'Manual'. It will open GParted, and show you a graphical representation of your disk. There will be a part (the bar along the top area), for Windows, and it will show the Linux part too, different colour. You want to delete the Mint/Linux partition, then when that shows 'free space, you are going to use your mouse to go to the end of the Windows partition (along the top bar part), and drag it to the left, to shrink the Windows partition a bit.
This will take a while, so be patient. Once it has been resized, you will be able to Install to the freed space.

I'm going to try to get a screenshot for you. Just that my setup will be different. so give me a short break, and I'll post back.
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby richyrich on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:47 pm

Okay no screenshots, duh . . I'm booting from cd, no place to save . . . :roll:
When the first green screen comes up on booting the Live CD(counting down the seconds), hit the spacebar, and choose 'Start the Installer Only'
Step 4 will start up the Partitioner, you will see two bars, the top one is existing, the bottom one will allow changes, sooo, Click the radio button that states 'Use the largest continuous free space', then you should see a 'Slider' on the bottom bar, this is the one to shrink the Windows partition. Shrink til you get about 15 Gb. of free space (again, this may take quite a while to shrink the Win partition), then when it shows ready, just click, next, and it should do everything else for you.

I hope I haven't confused the he** out of you.

Richard

ps: the 'Install side by side' will show the slider too!
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby starfleet70 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:56 pm

I tried deleting Mint and it said i did but couldn't resize the windows partition so i downloaded a partitioner and shrunk it with that and it worked, but after i reinstalled Mint and rebooted. When the option screen came up it still showed the first install of Mint but the 2nd one works.. now i have a dual boot system. Thanks for all your help really. Just one question, how do i get rid of the first install of Mint?

Scott
starfleet70
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:57 pm

What do you mean, it shows the first install?
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby starfleet70 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:01 pm

It shows both Mint installs along with the windows option for me to choose from to boot into.
starfleet70
Level 1
Level 1

Postby starfleet70 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:13 pm

Time for bed so I'll check tomorrow for any ideas on how to remove the first install.

Thanks again,
Scott
starfleet70
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:31 pm

That is a good one. hmmmm . . . tried Boot-Up Manager - not! . . tried Startup-Manager - not!
This one may need some research, as it will mean editing the boot loader . . . :shock:

I think I'll get back to you on that one . . . getting late, talk to you tomorrow! I'll post back here, or get one of the Mint gurus to help.

HEY, at least you have Mint up and running! :D

regards, Richard
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby starfleet70 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:08 am

Yes it's up and running, i just need to get the sound working.
starfleet70
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:36 am

Mornin'
Right click on the little speaker on the panel, is anything muted? Volume up?
Open a terminal and type: aplay -l and lspnp -v
paste it back here.
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Questions