Re: High CPU Usage on idle Machine..

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
s.linuxusers

Post by s.linuxusers »

Hello to everyone,
I just ran the Live CD of Linux Mint 7 i was so pleased to see the interface that i immediately decided to install on my PC. Before that just by chance i went to see the system resources & i was shock to see that it was using the CPU from 40 to 85 % even the machine was idle i mean to say no opening of any application or doing any processing. I even checked the resources & i couldn't found any processes utilizing more then 15% of CPU. I have attached the screen shot for Resources and processes

Kindly let me know whether this is normal or what & i had also used openSUSE 11.1 KDE 4.2 & on idle machine the CPU usage was always 0-2 %.

I am worried because if the CPU usage so high on idle machine then it will effect my PC & its battery since it will drain much faster.

The Config of my Machine is
AMD Athlon 64x2 - 1.7Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Nvidia GEForce 8400M G 128MB.

Thanks in advance,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nitehawk

Post by nitehawk »

I just saw your post,...and right away checked my CPU useage. Mine is NO WHERE near what yours is. Actually, mine barely shows anything much at all (Dell Optiplex P4--2.8Ghz--512ram--160G hard drive). At the most,...my CPU just showed about 15% ...(otherwise it's next to nothing.)...about 10% to about 12% near the "idle" point.

EDIT: I just now went off the internet,...and let my computer (with Linux Mint 7) have a chance to really "idle". I got a CPU reading of about 0% to 4%. Not being an "expert",....I can't really say what your problem might be.....only that I'm certainly not getting the results you are!
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

You only showed us a 15 second interval of CPU usage - not much help to us whatsover and the processes were not shown at the same time the CPU usage was high. What you should do is open a terminal, type "top" and watch, over a period of time what processes are using the CPU and then post back to this thread. I suspect your system may just have been running "cron jobs" in the background at that time.

For more info on cron: "info cron" in a terminal.
s.linuxusers

Post by s.linuxusers »

Hi lagagnon,

I have just installed Mint 7 on my Lappie & i have attached the screenshot of the 'top' command & side by side of systems resources.
Kindly check & let me know

Thanks
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Seems normal - you are using 15% CPU there because you have just done something with the screen so xorg is/was busy. You also have a lot of compiz effects turned on. You can reduce your CPU/memory usage by turning off Compiz effects in the Control Center.
s.linuxusers

Post by s.linuxusers »

Hi lagagnon,
I tried to reduce the compiz settings but did'nt help much. I am attaching the screenshots of my earlier settings for reference.

Thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”