Changing Partition Permissions Problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Changing Partition Permissions Problem

Postby mintuser1000 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:51 am

I'm running Mint Live. I have a partition that has is owned by root.

Code: Select all
mint@mint ~ $ ls -l /media/disk-1
total 16
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 2009-06-24 18:16 lost+found

I want to use this partition to make downloads, becase 4 gigs of ram fill up too quick. I tried to change permissions:

I use sudo su:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo su
mint mint #

I use chmod:
mint mint # chmod 777 /media/disk-1
mint mint #

I check the permissions:
mint mint # ls -l /media/disk-1
total 16
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 2009-06-24 18:16 lost+found
mint mint #

Why didn't the permission change? How do I change them?
mintuser1000
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Changing Partition Permissions Problem

Postby Fred on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:52 pm

mintuser1000,

You may want to refer to the post below about permissions.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=27279&p=158834&hilit=Fred+chown#p158834

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mintuser1000 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:26 pm

I read this. I tried the commands with "sudo" in front of them. They didn't change the partition permissions either.

I'm trying to make my Live Mint be able to save files on a parttion. What is the command for this? I thought it was chmod. Apparently it is not chmod, because it DOES NOT CHANGE THE PERMISSIONS. As proven in first thread.
mintuser1000
Level 1
Level 1

Postby optimize me on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:24 pm

You must've missed something. Read it again.

It's because you don't own the folder.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mintuser1000 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:49 pm

optimize me wrote:You must've missed something. Read it again.

It's because you don't own the folder.

Must I be wrong to assume that I have root power by typing "sudo su"?

mint@mint ~ $ sudo su
mint mint #

Does not this by default make me owner for that moment? Or, no?

If so, then why don't the permissions change with chmod?
mintuser1000
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:42 pm

mintuser1000,

I know you are frustrated, but try to keep an open mind. The information you want is indeed in the post I referenced. I'll give you a hint. Look closely at the part about setting ownership and don't modify the way I have the commands structured. They are correct. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mintuser1000 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:33 am

Fred wrote:mintuser1000,

I know you are frustrated, but try to keep an open mind. The information you want is indeed in the post I referenced. I'll give you a hint. Look closely at the part about setting ownership and don't modify the way I have the commands structured. They are correct. :-)

Fred

I don't know what user to use in chmod. I don't know what group to use. All I want to do is change it so I can use it with Live Mint to download files. You example assumes I know what user and group to put in the chmod command. Sorry, I have no idea what to put in there. All I know is that it's been two days of unproductivity because I can't find a tutorial on google that is competent at explaining the theory behind unix permissions.
mintuser1000
Level 1
Level 1

Postby optimize me on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:25 am

mintuser1000 wrote:I don't know what user to use in chmod. I don't know what group to use. All I want to do is change it so I can use it with Live Mint to download files. You example assumes I know what user and group to put in the chmod command. Sorry, I have no idea what to put in there.

Fourth result: http://tinyurl.com/nz9vjz
mintuser1000 wrote:All I know is that it's been two days of unproductivity because I can't find a tutorial on google that is competent at explaining the theory behind unix permissions.

First result (but really every result on the first page is more than adequate): http://tinyurl.com/dnjkeo

Remember, though: As stated in Fred's post, the very first step is to change ownership of the file/folder in question.
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Postby altair4 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:41 am

I've been in a confused state for about 2 days now so if I just don't understand the problem please forgive me :wink:

This is what I did:

Boot to Mint Live CD
Double click "Computer" on the desktop
Double Click COMMON ( this is the label of one of my partitions on that computer )

This automatically mounts COMMON to /media/COMMON
Forgetting for a moment what "ls -l /media/COMMON says about it, if you go into nautilus right click /media/COMMON, then Properties, then Permissions you get this:

Owner: Mint - Live session user
Folder Access: Can Create and Delete files.

So I opened up Firefox , found something small to download and saved it to /media/COMMON.

What am I missing?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby mintuser1000 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:09 am

I finally found the answer through trial and error, none of the links you guy sent me to. As long as a partition is owned by root, no permission changes can be made through "sudo" "sudo su" or "su -i". The partition has to be changed to be owned by "mint". At that point, I could modify permissions.
mintuser1000
Level 1
Level 1

Postby optimize me on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:23 am

So, you mean to say that you changed ownership of the file/folder in question?

Did you, by any chance, do that with the chown command? The same chown command Fred talks about as being step number one in his permissions post?
Fred wrote:First ownership. This is an important setting, as it determines who owns and therefore controls the file/folder. We use the "chown" command for this. Changing/setting ownership requires root privileges. Example for a folder:

sudo chown -R fred:fredgrp /home/fred/Data

sudo gives us root privileges.
chown is the ownership command.
-R is the recursive option, to set the entire folder tree the same way.
fred:fredgrp is the owner and group to be set.
/home/fred/Data is the path to the folder tree we are setting.

And you say you figured all that out by yourself, huh?
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:20 pm

mintuser1000,

I don't guess it matters at this point, if you are happy with the outcome, but partitions don't have a root or permissions. A partition is just a chunk of memory, virtual or real. Only files and folders have permissions when used in Linux file systems, not the partition itself. As far as a partition root, I have no idea what you think that might be.

By-the-way, running from the live CD, you can't permanently change the permissions of the mount point. The live CD is not writable. What you can do is use the -R option, as I showed you in the commands I referenced for you, to make the folder trees and files on the partition you have mounted consistent and recognized by the live cd.

Confusion reigns. :-)

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mintuser1000 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:52 pm

optimize me wrote:So, you mean to say that you changed ownership of the file/folder in question?

Did you, by any chance, do that with the chown command? The same chown command Fred talks about as being step number one in his permissions post?

Yes. You are right. But the confusion was subtle:

Fred wrote:Changing/setting ownership requires root privileges.

I was signed in as root and it would not allow me the priveledge of changing permissions. Instead, I had to assign the file or directory in which I wanted to change priveledges to be owned by the user "mint" and then make the user "mint" part of the group root.

I now see that having root priveledges can mean two things: being signed in as root and being part of the the group root. Both I have found are not equal.
mintuser1000
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mintuser1000 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Fred wrote:I don't guess it matters at this point, if you are happy with the outcome, but partitions don't have a root or permissions. A partition is just a chunk of memory, virtual or real. Only files and folders have permissions when used in Linux file systems, not the partition itself. As far as a partition root, I have no idea what you think that might be.

I've read a few times that everything on Linux is a file. Wouldn't that make a partition a file? Or, a mounting point as you pointed out, whatevder that is?

File or no file, my usb drive permissions are remembered when I take it to a different machine. Well, this may not be true all together. In the process of all this confusion, I have found that fat32 formatted drives will not take permission changes or hold permissions. They stay assigned as the signed in user and are assigned the root group. ???

Thanks Fred. I probably sounded like a real a*!hole, but you obvioulsy recoginized it was really just confusion.
mintuser1000
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions