<SOLVED> mount NTFS shares

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

<SOLVED> mount NTFS shares

Postby Matt26 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:16 pm

i want to mount some local and remote NTFS shares using fstab but i can't recall the syntax for doing this.

can anyone help me out with this?
Last edited by Matt26 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt26
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mount NTFS shares

Postby nelamvr6 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:11 pm

This works for me on local drives:

/dev/sda2 /media/natsdisk ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Matt26 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:08 am

thanks for the suggestion.. this is what i have added to the end of my fstab file for mounting a couple of local drives.. i have already created the folders where the mount option points to:

/dev/sdb5 /home/matthew/NTFS/Local/Downloads ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb6 /home/matthew/NTFS/Local/Stuff ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

i restarted my computer but the drives aren't auto mounting- what am i doing wrong?
Matt26
Level 1
Level 1

Postby proxima_centauri on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:28 am

That looks right. Also - a tip instead of restarting. You can
Code: Select all
sudo mount -a

to reinstate your new fstab.

Can you post the output of
sudo fdisk -l
in terminal please.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby bobsmith on Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:32 pm

Here's my ntfs fstab entry. It automounts just fine (and it preserves file timestamps when copying a file from Mint to an ntfs partition):

/dev/sdb1 /media/Disk2Bkp ntfs defaults,users,uid=bob,umask=007,gid=users 0 0

FWIW, "bob" is my login name.

I noticed you have a mix of both upper & lowercase letters in your directory names. I believe those will all need to match perfectly, so you might want to double check those. I read some obscure post awhile back that some guy changed "ntfs-3g" to "ntfs" and was able to auto-mount. I know it shouldn't matter, but if all else fails...
Linux Mint 17 Mate, 16GB RAM, 64 bit Intel CPU
bobsmith
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Matt26,

Your mount points look a little unusual to me. Are you sure they are correct? In your home directory, you have a folder called "NTFS". In that folder you have a folder called "Local". In that folder you have two folders. One named "Downloads" and another called "Stuff".

As defined, you are trying to mount partition sdb5 to the "Downloads" folder above. You are trying to mount partition sdb6 to the "Stuff" folder above. Is this what you are trying to do?

You might want to take a look at the post referenced below. There is a little more information about auto mounting local partitions there.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Matt26 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:26 am

i figured that one out- i hate to admit this, but i had added the entries for the auto mounts to my smb.conf file accidentally- i added them to the fstab file instead, remounted and now i have them. thanks for everyone's help on this.

my next question is how do i auto mount windows shares on a remote computer?

i'm assuming this would include the path to the remote windows share instead of a local volume path, like this:
//server/sharename /home/matthew/mountpoint ntfs defaults 0 0

would this be correct?

thanks.
Matt26
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions