Trying Mint and need some help

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Trying Mint and need some help

Postby Tuckahoe on Tue May 29, 2007 9:12 pm

I'm new to the Linux world and not very computer savy. I'm working on trying Mint but I can't get it to boot from the cd. I get the following error whenever I try to boot from the cd: unknown interrupt or fault at EIP 00000060 c01002b1 000002b0. I googled it and found that if I add acpi=off to the boot parameters it may fix my problem. How do I do that?
Tuckahoe
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby facade47 on Tue May 29, 2007 9:35 pm

When it shows the splash screen for Linux Mint, hit F6 and a text box called Boot Options should appear, and you type in acpi=off at the end :)

Not sure if it helps, but people always say to burn operating system CDs at low burn speed (e.g. 2x)... again, I'm not sure if that will help =P
facade47
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Boo on Tue May 29, 2007 9:53 pm

At the initial boot screen go to the boot options (F6 key) and at the prompt type:
linux acpi=off

and off you go

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Husse on Wed May 30, 2007 9:52 am

I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to delete the "quiet - splash" you see and then add whatever you need to add. Just adding at the end of the line may not take effect
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions