pidgin problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

pidgin problem

Postby iceman600 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:27 am

hi
ive been using ubuntu since the release of hardy and now i switch to linux mint because of a recomendation of a friend.
i installed the linuxmint gloria 64bit release and is working perfectly. i love it. just one problem... i cant connect to my yahoo acct and gtalk with pidgin. i tried reinstalling still i cant connect. i never got a problem with pidgin b4, just now with gloria.

i got 3 IM accts. (yahoo, gtalk and AIM)
my AIM acct works perfectly when i sign in. so im sure that theinstallation is correct.

now i install kapote hoping that i can log into my YM acct still i cant. but the AIM account is still ok .

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? ANYBODY CAN HELPME ON THIS?
THANKS IN ADVANCE...
iceman600
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: pidgin problem

Postby nandemonai on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:55 pm

Search the forum, it's a known issue. Yahoo has dropped support on most of their servers for the older authentication method used by pidgin. You'll have to install the latest version from the pidgin PPA.

You could try changing the paging server for your Yahoo account to:

Code: Select all
cn.scs.msg.yahoo.com

Though I have no idea how long it will last before that server is updated too, if it hasn't been already.
Linux Mint 7 64 Bit | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.80GHz (OC) | 4GB Kingston RAM | Asus P5Q Delux Motherboard | Asus EN9800GT (NVIDIA) | WD 120GB / WD 720GB SATA2 HDDs
nandemonai
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions