system sporadicaly crashes

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

system sporadicaly crashes

Postby Matt26 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:17 am

every so often my computer will freeze up on me completely- to the point where the mouse pointer won't even move. this has been happening with the past 3 distros that i have tried so far- Ubuntu, Fedora and now Mint.

i have no idea what is causing this crashing to occur but i would love to know where to start looking for the cause.

can anyone tell me where i could look or what i could do to determine what's causing these system crashes?

any help is greatly appreciated.
Matt26
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: system sporadicaly crashes

Postby lagagnon on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:57 am

Linux doesn't normally crash and being as you have had it on 3 different distros you obviously have a hardware problem.
A freeze is usually caused by one of these, in the order listed below:

1) a faulty RAM stick
2) a faulty hard drive
3) overheating CPU
4) faulty power supply
5) faulty motherboard or CPU

I would first of all run memtest from any Live Linux CD (the Mint one has it). If you get errors you have faulty RAM.
If RAM is OK test your hard drive using the "Ultimate Boot CD". Hard drive errors often also show up in "dmesg". Use the log file viewer and scan dmseg for HD errors.
If the freezing occurs after long periods of using 100% CPU (games, compiling, video editing etc) then you are overheating and you need to clean out fans, add fans, etc.
You can check the PS by running the "sensors" command (you have to load and set up the lm-sensors package first) when doing intensive computing and checking the PS voltages.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: system sporadicaly crashes

Postby Matt26 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:05 am

lagagnon wrote:Linux doesn't normally crash and being as you have had it on 3 different distros you obviously have a hardware problem.
A freeze is usually caused by one of these, in the order listed below:

1) a faulty RAM stick
2) a faulty hard drive
3) overheating CPU
4) faulty power supply
5) faulty motherboard or CPU

I would first of all run memtest from any Live Linux CD (the Mint one has it). If you get errors you have faulty RAM.
If RAM is OK test your hard drive using the "Ultimate Boot CD". Hard drive errors often also show up in "dmesg". Use the log file viewer and scan dmseg for HD errors.
If the freezing occurs after long periods of using 100% CPU (games, compiling, video editing etc) then you are overheating and you need to clean out fans, add fans, etc.
You can check the PS by running the "sensors" command (you have to load and set up the lm-sensors package first) when doing intensive computing and checking the PS voltages.

i was thinking that may be the case as well (especially where this is the 3rd distro i've tried) but not entirely sure.. i've tested both the RAM and hard drive in the past with no issues in either area, and the motherboard is only months old- i know that doesn't mean it's not faulty, but still.

i don't do any gaming or CPU-intensive tasks on this system either- the most i've done in the past was using Devede for creating DVDs and then burning them- and i haven't done either yet on Mint.

i have memtest running right now- last i check it had done 6 passes with no errors so i'll do another hard drive check when i get home and then the sensors test you mentioned and see what i come up with.

thanks.
Matt26
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions