[SOLVED] Nvidia driver

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Nvidia driver

Postby Post726 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi all and thanks in advance.

Here is what I did from the beginning:
I installed Linux mint 7 on my computer. My video card is a nvidia geForce FX 5950 Ultra.
When it booted after the install, I ran the miniUpdate and updated everything.
Next I rebooted my computer.
Upon the second boot up I ran the proprietary Hardware Driver application to get my video driver so that I could increase my resolution.
It found 2 drivers for me:
NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 173) [Recommended]
NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 96)

I then activated version 173, which prompted me to reboot.
Upon boot up I recieved this message:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): ***Aborting***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

I went into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed the driver from "nvidia" to "nv", which allows me to get to desktop, but leaves me right back where I started.

Next I tried version 96.
After rebooting my resolution was restricted to 640x480.

I have no clue what to try next.
Last edited by Post726 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post726
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Nvidia driver

Postby lagagnon on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Did you try Menu, Control Center, Hardware, Display ?
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Post726 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:38 am

When I go there I get a message saying:
It appears that your graphics driver does not support the necessary extensions to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphics driver vendor's tool instead?

So I use NVIDIA X Server Settings.

Also, I did not mention it earlier, but I have this computer on an old Compaq KVM, could that be a problem?
Post726
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DJKnutsen on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:32 am

The hardware driver didn't work for me either, but I searched for NVIDIA in package manager and found approved drivers there which work correctly... have you check there yet?? Good luck, Dave
DJKnutsen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DrHu on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:13 am

Post726 wrote:Also, I did not mention it earlier, but I have this computer on an old Compaq KVM, could that be a problem?

KVM are supposed to be a transparent connection to the device (keyboard, video (monitor) mouse), but of course since it is another physical interface in the middle of the chain, it is possible it could affect the result (even though your computer does boot and gets a desktop under the nv driver (vga mode))
--it would be more certain if you directly connected, however if that is not convenient, we can just assume it is OK

what happens if you run as root, since you now have a graphics desktop (x server) nvidia-settings
you have to save the X-server settings once you set the resolution

Also as root ( #) modprobe nvidia, lsmod, modinfo nvidia, glxinfo etc
--to see what is running or not..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Post726 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:10 pm

DrHu wrote:KVM are supposed to be a transparent connection to the device (keyboard, video (monitor) mouse), but of course since it is another physical interface in the middle of the chain, it is possible it could affect the result (even though your computer does boot and gets a desktop under the nv driver (vga mode))
--it would be more certain if you directly connected, however if that is not convenient, we can just assume it is OK

Well the KVM was not as transparent as I thought. Once I hooked up the monitor directly, the resolution jumped up. Any thoughts as to why the KVM might be causing troubles or a way around it?
Post726
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DrHu on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Well the KVM was not as transparent as I thought. Once I hooked up the monitor directly, the resolution jumped up. Any thoughts as to why the KVM might be causing troubles or a way around it?

Yes a better/high quality kvm switch, with good cables
http://linux-testing.com/results/avocen ... w2015.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch
--of course the better quality products are usually being sold into data centers with the expected higher costs..
Some active KVM switches don't pass signals 100% like the original one, and this can result in buggy behaviour in the target computer. For example, a Multimedia Keyboard connected to a KVM switch may have its Multimedia Keys without effect on the computer; a monitor connected this way may be incorrectly detected, especially by OSes that rely heavily on boot-time plug'n'play detection of peripherals, such as Ubuntu. An undesirable consequence of this is working in very low screen resolution, such as 800x600@60Hz, unless some setting forces a given resolution.

• Length of cabling
  • quality of cabling
  • quality of each keyboard, video, mouse connection

And edid data from the monitor is not getting through ?
http://osdir.com/ml/os.solaris.sunray/2 ... 00186.html
http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Win ... 00073.html
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Post726 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks for your help
Post726
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions