Need help setting up the IRC LM channel

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Need help setting up the IRC LM channel

Postby jacatone on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:03 am

I'm running LM 6 XFCE. I installed XChat but when I try adding the irc.spotchat.org server, it just deletes it. What the full LM IRC address that I can just click on and XChat will automatically launch? Thanks.
jacatone
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Need help setting up the IRC LM channel

Postby proxima_centauri on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:12 am

Hi.

I have irc.spotchat.org/6667 as my server.
It is set to autoconnect at start up and connect to #linuxmint

I noticed when you type in the server, you need to hit enter or click somewhere in that little box for it to register. You can't just type in the name and hit "Close" right away.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby jacatone on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:01 pm

Don't understand. When I launched XChat, it gives a long list of servers. When I click "Add" and "irc.spotchat.org/6667" and connect, it just deletes my entry and adds "New Network" instead. I've tried adding and editing and everything and it doesn't seem to work. I guess XChat isn't designed to be user friendly.
jacatone
Level 4
Level 4

Postby proxima_centauri on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:33 am

When you click add, and you see "New Network" above all the other current networks, a simple name will suffice here, i.e., Linux Mint, Then highlight that new Linux Mint entry after hitting enter, and hit edit on the side. There you can input the server info.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Return to Newbie Questions