How to "check disk" in MINT 6

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to "check disk" in MINT 6

Postby mattrixx on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:29 pm

I`m trying to make an Acronis 10 backup image of my Mint 6 HDD to an external HDD.
After Acronis first examines and analyzes my selected MINT drive, it says: errors found in Partitions,
and to "check disc" (and partitions) first with disc checking software, or else it will have to create a "Sector by Sector" image instead.

I've made Acronis backup images before with earlier versions of MINT.
I dont have the drive capacity for a sector by sector image replication.

How does one force a drive integrity check in Linux MINT6 ?
I believe this is the same type check MINT performs automatically every 30 or so boots?

Thanks
Matt
mattrixx
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to "check disk" in MINT 6

Postby Fred on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:40 pm

mattrixx,

I don't use Acronis, but my understanding is that it isn't compatible with the new block size adopted by Ubuntu/Mint starting with Mint 6.

You might want to check on the Acronis site for the details. There is nothing wrong with your Linux partitions.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mattrixx on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks Fred for your reply

Can you (or anyone else) recommend any free, "easy to use", graphical, image backup program(s)
that *WILL* work with the latest MINT/Ubuntu? Something similar to familiar Acronis.

Matt
mattrixx
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Fred on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:40 pm

mattrixx,

I can't vouch for this one as I haven't used it either. A number of knowledgeable people in this forum do use and recommend it however.

Clonezilla - http://www.clonezilla.org

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions