How can I have different Desktops for Mint 7?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How can I have different Desktops for Mint 7?

Postby NateFlax on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:04 am

A few weeks ago I had to reinstall both Windows & Linux (I Dualboot). I decided since I was going to reinstall Linux Mint 6, I might as well try the newer release Mint 7 "Gloria".

I've been quite impressed with Mint so far, and I think Mint 7 is much better then Mint 6.

But my question is: How can I setup my Desktop so I have different Icons?

I've figured out how to make anywhere from 1 to some 200 Desktops. I know that you can move windows/programs from one Desktop to the other. But how do you get each Desktop to have it's own icons?

For instance, I want:
Desktop #1 to have all my picture files/folders
Desktop #2 to have all my videos and movies
Desktop #3 to have all my notes and documents
Desktop.....etc. etc.

Is there anyway I can set a Desktop to have it's own icons/files/folders?

I'm sure it's just a simple setting I have to turn on, but I don't know where.

I'm running Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" (Main Edition) 32bit with Gnome and Compiz Fusion.
NateFlax
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How can I have different Desktops for Mint 7?

Postby lagagnon on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:49 am

I understand Gnome/Metacity cannot do that without an external daemon. You can however use "devilspie" to do it. It is available in package manager. There is also a Google GUI for it, if you need a GUI.

http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie
http://code.google.com/p/gdevilspie/
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions